When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OK, Ive searched and cannot verify this...

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

I have searched the net for pics and think that I have this correct... But before I go having the case of my new SFSO brushed, I want to check with the experts here.

It is my understanding that the SFSO should have an entirely brushed case. Mine has brushed sides and back...

So which should it be???

Thanks!

CBR

Guest carlsbadrolex

This is cut from a gen website... It is the most detailed explanation of the two models I have found.

Model: SuperOcean Steelfish X-Plus

Production Years: 2006-Current

Movement: Breitling 17

Power Reserve: 42 Hours

Water Resistance: 2000m

Bezel: Unidirectional

Crown: Screw-Locked

Crystal: Sapphire

Diameter: 44mm YEP, same as our reps.

Thickness: 16.1mm

Weight: 122.5g

Bracelet: Professional II

Lug Width: 22mm

Watchwinder Direction: Both

Reference Numbers: a17390 This is the reference for our SFSO's

Specifications

Model: SuperOcean Steelfish

Production Years: 2005

Movement: Breitling 17

Water Resistance: 1500m

Bezel: Unidirectional

Crown: Screw-Locked

Crystal: Sapphire

Diameter: 42mm NOPE, ours is 44mm

Thickness: 15mm

Weight: 100.6g

Bracelet: Professional

Lug Width: 20mm

Watchwinder Direction: Both

Reference Numbers: a17360 This is NOT our ref. #

Specifications

Caliber: Breitling 17

Base Movement: ETA 2824-2 VERY INTERESTING...

Complications: None

There are two different SuperOcean Steelfishes out there, and many people are often confused as to which one they are buying, the X-Plus or the original. Especially since Breitling has dropped X-Plus from the name.

Like many watch companies, when new models are released, sometimes they change or have a transition model initially. The SuperOcean steelfish was one of these models. Initially when the Steelfish was a variant of the SuperOcean with two-tone brushed and polished case and bracelet on a professional I bracelet. 1500m water resistance and a helium escape valve at 10 o’clock. This model was only produced for a year. The above picture shows the two. The watch on the right is the X-Plus… notice the Profesional II bracelet.

As you can see both models are very similar, but a couple things to note. The SuperOcean X-Plus, now on the left in the above picture, is all brushed. The watch is less blingy than the original brushed/polished two-tone. The original was also only available with a professional I bracelet, however you could buy a bracelet for the regular SuperOcean and use it.

The pic above gives you an idea of their size difference, even tho only 2mm, is quite substantial on the wrist. Also the all brushed look of the X-Plus makes a difference. Both models shown are in the blue dial, which is my favourite of all the dials. Same movement in both watches, the Breitling Caliber 17.

This is cut from a gen website...

I think reading that confused me more. I was sure the x-plus had polished sides, found a pic of one, then found another pic that looked all brushed... and that article says they are all brushed, but the brushed one I foung had a curved "s", while the polished one had a straight "s" and they were both from resale sites. :blink:

Guest carlsbadrolex

Here is a link to the original article with the pics...

Link to pics

Here are three pics with brushed sides. I guess it doesnt matter, in perfect Rolex fashion they must come both ways and have an overlapping of parts used.

post-7311-1209094876_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209094886_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209094901_thumb.jpg

The sides are polished. This is my gen 44mm Steelfish X-plus.... Sometimes after a service or polishing at the AD they come back with brushed sides or even with a brushed case back. It's much easier to brush than repolish to remove scratches.

NEW, both 42 and 44mm have polished sides.

pict0026fm9.jpg

pict0031ok2.jpg

pict0032en4.jpg

Edited by Rolexman

The Breitling website still shows it with the old bracelet and the he valve in the wrong place, so I would not put too much stock in "official" information. FYIW.

EDITED TO ADD:

If it makes a difference, I polished ALL of my Asian SFSO. I like the bling look. kept the swiss one stock however

Edited by Dilliam

Guest carlsbadrolex

Well to confuse the issue even more... I went to the AD today and was told that the "standard" is for the watch to have an entirely brushed case (not including case back). But the watch can be ordered with polished sides. They actually had one of each and I much prefer the brushed case, so mine is going in for a brush job!

Thanks to everyone,

CBR

Well to confuse the issue even more... I went to the AD today and was told that the "standard" is for the watch to have an entirely brushed case (not including case back). But the watch can be ordered with polished sides. They actually had one of each and I much prefer the brushed case, so mine is going in for a brush job!

Thanks to everyone,

CBR

Strange.... In all Chronologs I have both 42 and 44mm have polished sides. I've never seen a new SOSF at an AD with brushed sides.

Some of you may already know that a dear fiend of mine works at an AD so and last night, after soccer practice, I asked him. He told me that the brushed SOSF you saw was a custom job. Every Breit can be customised in regards to finish. You can order a completely brushed NEW BCE but this is not the way they come from the factory. This is done buy the importer of the particular country. So the importer probably brushed the SOSF A. For a customer who changed his mind. B. For the particular AD to ad some diversity to it's offers.

So in regards to authenticity polished sides is the way to go.

My 0.02