When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The History Of The 5218-209 and 5218-210

UncleJay

I don't know where the info on these two watches has come from lately, but it's inaccurate. The 209 and 210 are hybrids of the Pre-V and Pre-A watches. The 209 (12 pcs produced) used a Pre-A SS case with a Pre-V 201/A Logo dial while the 210 (2 pieces produced #'s 54 and 55) used a Pre-A PVD case with a 203/A dial. Neither watch used the /A on the case back because Panerai thought it would be confused with the upcoming A series watches. BTW, Pre-Vendome dials had no "T" markings (only exceptions were the Mare Nostrum). Pre-A had T-SWISS-T markings, while A and B series had T SWISS T. The 210 we see now is an orange dialed PVD Base model that was a Prototype, really produced as an attempt with dial colors.

Pre-Vendome:

Case: Pre-V

Hands: Pre-V

Movement: Pre-V

Strap: Pre-V

5218-209 and 5219-210:

Case: Pre-A

Hands: Pre-V

Movement: Pre-V

Strap: Pre-A

Pre-A:

Case: Pre-A OP6500

Hands: Tritium

Movement: OP II

Strap: Pre-A

T-SWISS-T

Tri-State GTG Info

Cheers Jay....wisdom and insight always appreciated.

There's a seller on the bay (helenarou) who sells the "Marina Militare" homages ....I picked up a couple of steel cases that actually have short lugs , single screw and no strap dimple/delve.

Compatible with all other std rep /gen parts , dial- crystal , caseback and CG - just a new tube and crown required.

What's the exact distinction between pre-A OP6500 case and Vendome onwards cases - as Jimmyz Fu case is a 1:1 for B-F and some G series I understand?

Cheers

:fish:

BTW, these can easily be reped by DSN. I know I had trouble with DSN's QC .... but I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Remember that his PAM cases are good, seems the Pre-Vs are the issue. He would have to really be on top of his QC. One more thing about these were the case backs. They were prototypes so the case back engraving was a little rough and not like the regular Pre-Vs.

5218-209 Luminor

-------------------

PAM0001 case

5218-201/A dial

5218-209 case back (would need to be made)

5218-210 Marina

-------------------

PAM0195 case

5218-203 dial

5218-210 case back (must need to have the /A removed)