When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Frakenjust Questions

indyberetta

I am wanting to build a frakenjust and was wondering a few things...

1 What movements fit in what cases? i.e. 16233, 16013, 1600, etc. 2824, 2836, 2892

I believe the 15000 series cases are 19mm end links?

2. I want it to have the 20mm band ends.

3. How is the movement attached in the case?

I have done some research and found that the stem alignment is a problem for some of these. I want to use a gen dial in the case so I know the feet must be cut and use of dial dots is necessary. What date wheels would someone also use?

I am not an experienced watch repair person, but want to build one as a hobby thing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

160xx uses 2836-2

162xx uses 2824-2

Or a 2892 (ask stilty he built a beautiful one).

Youl'll need a spacer ring to fhold the movement in the case, and a correct datewheel overlay.

160xx has open 6 and 9 date font

162xx has closed 6 and 9 font

16xxx series have 20mm lugs.

You can check these 2 frankens:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=71722

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=71675

Hi, for the modern DJ case. 16200, etc. The only movement to use is the 2892-A2, or 2892-2. You can use the 2824-2, but I find the tolerances are too tight for proper date overlay installation and stem alignment. You can't have both. You need some clearance between the dial and movement for a free turning date overlay and this causes the stem to be out of alignment.

If you use the 2892-A2 with the holder I had made, everything is set up for a perfect fit in the 16200 case. You even have enough space between movement and dial to use a genuine Rolex date disc. The Rolex disc is glued to the ETA disc and turn freely under the dial. You just need to make sure you have the proper hand fitting height for the Rolex dial. This involves changing the hour wheel, cannon pinion, and fourth wheel.

Also, I am currently in the development stage of a CNC milled holder for the 160XX DJ case that uses 3035 movement. The holder will be for ETA 2824-2 and 2836-2 conversion into the 3035 case. I'm hoping for some prototypes in the next week or two, as well as a 16014 case, gen dial for some test fitting.

It sure would be nice to have a date wheel that is a copy of the rolex date wheel on something like vinyl that could just be stuck on the existing date wheel to help with the spacing between the date wheel and the dial.

How is the existing eta date wheel look when used on a gen Rolex dial?

Does drilling out the crown tube help the stem alignment issue so it at least does not rub on the inner side of the crown tube?

Stilty, I might need some of the new spacers as well that you are working on. I have several good 2836 and 2824 movements and of course a short supply (1) of the 2892 movements.

Carlsbad, that is a great kit you have for sale! If I did not have as many bands and movements at this time I would probably jump on it!

I also have some Gen Tudor movements that I might use in one of the Frakenjust if I can get it to work. One I will have to save for a future Tudor Snowflake Fraken...maybe sooner than later!!! :D