When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Obsessed with my 104.

mjmurphy926

I got the overlay for my 090 from archibald, he is the only one who made them (thanks once again, J.!)

Unsure if he is still making them, though.

You may try and make your own overlay as well, even if not at archibald's level as he used a special hi-res, 4-colors printer, as well as special stickers and cutting tools.

What you need is a good printer, thin but bright white paper, and a scan (or, even better, a vectorial file) of a gen datewheel.

If you are interested I can send you a scan of the datewheel -- a normal .bmp file, not a vectorial file, sorry -- and the exact size you should print it.

In consideration of how bad is your datewheel, even such a homemade overlay might make for an improvement in the end. :)

(mjmurphy, pls forgive this thread hijacking)

Thanks for the offer sssurfer. I have to say my skills are not up to the task. I opened the watch today and realised that i cannot remove the crown. It appears that the crown asssembly is locked by a screw which i have no tool. In addition, while working on the watch, i was a little worried that i will screw up the movement and cause it to stop working. By the way, my Pam 90 is using a much smaller movement in comparison to the case, probably some 21J i guess?

Thanks for the offer sssurfer. I have to say my skills are not up to the task. I opened the watch today and realised that i cannot remove the crown. It appears that the crown asssembly is locked by a screw which i have no tool. In addition, while working on the watch, i was a little worried that i will screw up the movement and cause it to stop working. By the way, my Pam 90 is using a much smaller movement in comparison to the case, probably some 21J i guess?

Chuan, if it has a screw instead of a pin to remove the stem then I am amazed. I know of no Asian auto "21J" or similar movement that way.

And AFAIK the Seagull ST2530 is the only movement with PR indicator @5Hr.

If a different movement exists with that PR indicator, then I would be VERY interested to know it.

If you can post a pic of your movement I might be more specific (in this case, please put the rotor opposite side to the crown & stem so that I can also tell you what to do in order to release the stem).

BTW -- "chuan" is "fist", "punch", in Chinese.

Is that intentional? :D

well.... i am taking one for the team and I have an "ultimate" 104 in hand from trusty and a DSN 104 in transit...

Legend,

Please keep me informed. I'm probably going to order the DSN in the near future (unless he totaly screws UJ over). I don't know what your plans are as far as merging the two, but I'd love to know if the CG from trusty's watch will fit DSN's case. I also would love to hear what you think of the crystal and date mag between the two (I love the trusty crystal).

Thanks,

Mike

well... i can say with a 95% certainty that the DSN will be the better of the two...

chinkiechunkie bought a 112 this past weekend at an ad and he held a 104.... we had lunch the next day and he said there is a lot off on the ultimate... so much so that i will be selling my ultimate...

now.. your ultimate's date font looks significantly better than mine... i could not replicate that datefont look from any angle... it was the same with an ultimate 092 that i had... the date font just was not crisp enough on both..

Chuan, if it has a screw instead of a pin to remove the stem then I am amazed. I know of no Asian auto "21J" or similar movement that way.

And AFAIK the Seagull ST2530 is the only movement with PR indicator @5Hr.

If a different movement exists with that PR indicator, then I would be VERY interested to know it.

If you can post a pic of your movement I might be more specific (in this case, please put the rotor opposite side to the crown & stem so that I can also tell you what to do in order to release the stem).

BTW -- "chuan" is "fist", "punch", in Chinese.

Is that intentional? :D

On taking a closer look, i don't know if it is a screw or a pin. I'll post a picture for you to see, sometime later (like another 9 hours). Maybe i'll get to remove the crown after all ;)

My chuan is not fist or punch in chinese hahah.... it's "passing on" in chinese. I guess it's pretty hard to know the tone looking at english words...

Cheers

Here is a picture of the movement. You're right, on closer inspection it looks like a pin. How do i release the stem and after that assembly it back? THanks in advance sssurfer.

post-11325-1211302426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chuan

Hi Chuan,

yes, that is exactly a Seagull ST2530 movement, and the pin that you outlined is the pin that you should push to release the stem.

All you have to do is setting the crown in winding position (full push in), gently pushing the pin with a needle, pulling the crown out, and the stem will come out easily.

Just, please note that, after removing the movement out from the case, to get access to the datewheel you will also need to remove the dial, the plate under the dial, and the power reserve module that is there too.

All in all it is a tricky task, I would not recommend you do it without help from a friend watchsmith.

Hi Chuan,

yes, that is exactly a Seagull ST2530 movement, and the pin that you outlined is the pin that you should push to release the stem.

All you have to do is setting the crown in winding position (full push in), gently pushing the pin with a needle, pulling the crown out, and the stem will come out easily.

Just, please note that, after removing the movement out from the case, to get access to the datewheel you will also need to remove the dial, the plate under the dial, and the power reserve module that is there too.

All in all it is a tricky task, I would not recommend you do it without help from a friend watchsmith.

Hi sssurfer, thanks for the help! I've managed to remove the crown. I think i am going to paint the black hands and give the date wheel a miss.... Thanks !