When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai 5218-202/A

pete2528ca

Hey all...

Here is my latest project.

I built a 202/A the other day, and was going to wait to post it after I changed out the crown guard, but since it is going to be a few more days till arrived I figured what the hell. (I will explain the crown guard issue in a bit)

First the good stuff...

Ingredients included a DSN PVD case, DSN dial, DSN hands, and a swiss 6497 movement from OFrei. The DSN was purchased from a mate.

Not much more I can say about the good stuff, but there are a few issues.

1. PVD is uneven. It isn't a huge deal, and makes the case look vintage. The DSN non A/R sapphire is [censored]. I was cleaning the inside of the sapphire and it scratched like crazy. Typical really because my other DSN did the same.

2. The crown guard did not fit well, (my mate contacted DSN and another is on its way). I figured since I had a replacement Crown Guard coming I would re-work the old one. I filed down the corners, and then primered and painted them with a flat black paint that was colour matched. I then clear coated it with dullcote laquer and that changed the colour a bit. So, I will have to re do it. No biggie. Hopefully the replacement crownguard will just fit better.

3. This was my doing, but the movement had the second hand pin which I cut off. well I didn't get it right flush, and thus had to put an indent on the underside of the dial. used a drill bit and just worked it by hand. Well I guess it wasn't deep enough, and when I tightened the movement mounting clips it stopped the watch. I REALLY DID NOT want to take it apart again because the hands fit ever so nicely, so to make it work I had to back out the screws a tiny bit. This caused it to have a hair thickness gap between the case and dial, again not a big issue, but when you pull the crown to set the time it moves the movement and dial a teeny tiny bit. When the lever is locked in place though it is all very, very tight. There is no rattle though. The last little issue is that if you are examining the watch with a loupe and you have light shining right on the watch you can see a little speck of silver about the size of a period (.) showing through between the dial and case at the two marker and seven marker.

4. I had to cut the feet of the dial and mount with two way tape because the feet did not line up well on the dial and thus made the face look crooked.

I may one day decide to open it back up and fix the second pin issue but for now I will wear it occasionally and enjoy it as is.

Enjoy the pictures.

The back drop is my hunting arms collection. Thought it would be fitting...

202a2.jpg

202a1.jpg

202a4.jpg

202a3.jpg

This last picture is my other collection. It consists of a Sako Hunter deluxe in 375 H&H with a Ziess scope, takes down moose with no problems what so ever. Next is a Franchi Falconet from 1972, built before Beretta took over the company and ruined it. I hate Beretta for that. Both the Sako and Franchi line are horrible now that the big B owns them. They were better back in the day when they were independent. Number three is a Marocchi Contrast sporting clays gun. I had a custom stock built for it, and have but tens of thousands of rounds through it. Fantastic gun. The last one is a Marocchi Conquista, Trap gun. It is as good as any Perazzi.

theboys.jpg