When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new SMP 2531.80

Noel

Hi fellow collectors,

Whenever I make one of my very infrequent postings I always say I will take the time to introduce myslef properly and then get distracted. This weekend I will definietly do so and finally admit that after 30 watches (not from dealers on here) I ain't getting away from this hobby.

Just received an SMP from Silix. His OMES014 and would value your opinion. Firstly let me say we had excellent communication and fast delivery. It is undoubtedly faithful to Silix's pictures and the original although bezel is only 60 clicks which surprised me (is this normal?). I have not investigated the movement and would not really know what I was looking for.

For some reason I am still a little disapointed. I think the problem is that on a trip to Guangzhou last year I picked up an SMP which, although less accurate, I think I prefer. Unfortunately it only worked for a about a week :-(

I have attached pictures of both watches. The one on the left is OMES014 and the one on the right of unknown origin. When it stopped working I attempted to get my local tame jeweller to switch in a movement from a poor quality SMP. Unfortunately it was not a good fit and as you can see the date is in different position. However this watch had an eta 2836 movement, a strap which seems superior to my new one and crisper digits on the 120 click bezel. The bezel is also a slightly darker shade of blue which I love and I believe it is even correctly aligned. Although they both weigh almost the same my old one just feels heavier somehow.

I also love the green lume with steel surrounds. In my opinion this looks really classy and it surprised me to see this was not faithful to the original. Neither is the crisp printing. The lume however is almost non existant apart from on the pearl. The pearl is a little high and I suspect prone to damage as has happened on other watches of mine. The lume on OMES014 is very strong.

The strap on OMES014 is disappointing and I will almost certainly switch them over. The new strap is not as deep and has rounded and polished sides. I'm not sure if this is original or not but looks cheap. I recall reading somewhere that later SMP batches had a poorer stap than previous versions.

If anyone knows what version I picked up in Guangzhou and if they are still available I think I'd buy another. Alternatively is the OMES014 the best currently available?

Any thoughts would be of interest.

Keep up the good work,

Noel

post-6027-1210964372_thumb.jpg

post-6027-1210964463_thumb.jpg

post-6027-1210964508_thumb.jpg

post-6027-1210964574_thumb.jpg

I don't want to spoil your party but the bracelet on Silix's SMP is way better. The sides are supposed to be brushed instead of polished and the end-link of the OMES014 is made out of 9 pieces whereas the other one is made out of 1 piece (judging from you pictures). Not only the bracelet but the entire watch (OMES014) is much much closer to the gen. As fas as I know the only real tell signs are the screwed bracelet (instead of pins), the misaligned bezel (which can be fixed) and the HEV position.....

Edited by Rolexman

Let me put on my flame suit before I post this..... Why would anyone buy a rep of that watch? The ultimate SMP rep will set you back close to $300 shipped and the cheesier versions are less but you will probably go through 2-3 of them in a lifetime. You can pick up a nice gen on the bay for $700-1000 if you go for the quartz version. What's the difference between a quartz gen movement and an asian automatic movement? Why not get the gen and call it a day?

I don't want to spoil your party but the bracelet on Silix's SMP is way better. The sides are supposed to be brushed instead of polished and the end-link of the OMES014 is made out of 9 pieces whereas the other one is made out of 1 piece (judging from you pictures). Not only the bracelet but the entire watch (OMES014) is much much closer to the gen. As fas as I know the only real tell signs are the screwed bracelet (instead of pins), the misaligned bezel (which can be fixed) and the HEV position.....

The bottom polished bracelet is Silix's OMES014 not the top one. Apart from that (and as I said in my original posting) it is very close to the genuine.

Regards

Noel

The Silix is more accurate. Here is why:

• Pearl on mystery watch is too small
  • Lume markers on Silix are correct...they should NOT be framed in metal
  • Omega logo and writing are too large on the mystery
  • Both have incorrect HEV placement (should be closer to 1015h and not right at 1000h)
  • End links on Silix are more accurate (flows better to bracelet instead of looking like a lumpy add-on
  • Both bezel inserts are misaligned...but the mystery one, less so
  • Centre second hand on mystery is too short
  • Minute hand on mystery is too short
  • Lume on mystery is the wrong colour
  • Font on the writing for "Seamaster Professional Chronometer 300m/1000ft" is too light on the mystery
  • I don't know what the mystery button is on the bracelet of the mystery
  • It's hard to tell, but the font tail on the #7 of the mystery shows the datewheel to be very wrong
  • Hand mounts (I don't know what you call them) that attach to the centre pin are way too large diameter
  • Font on the bezel insert is a little too small (should be closer to touching the bezel like on the Silix)
  • Dots on bezel insert are too small

That should be a good start. In other words, the other one is more easily called out. If you fix the bezel insert on the Silix, you are essentially set (aside from the HEV placement...but who other than a WIS would know the correct placement).

Mind you...I know what you mean about preferring an inaccurate version more than the accurate one. I actually prefer the incorrect wider subdial spacing on the Lemania/Seagull manual movement Speedmaster Moonwatch than the real one.

There are so many versions of Omega SMPs made, that finding a particular one that is not so accurate will be hard.

Let me put on my flame suit before I post this..... Why would anyone buy a rep of that watch? The ultimate SMP rep will set you back close to $300 shipped and the cheesier versions are less but you will probably go through 2-3 of them in a lifetime. You can pick up a nice gen on the bay for $700-1000 if you go for the quartz version. What's the difference between a quartz gen movement and an asian automatic movement? Why not get the gen and call it a day?

I paid $1500 for my gen automatic, new. Bernard watch has gen automatics in new or nearly new condition for around$1400 all the time. Having said that, I really like my SMP.

I paid $1500 for my gen automatic, new. Bernard watch has gen automatics in new or nearly new condition for around$1400 all the time. Having said that, I really like my SMP.

I just scored a gen 2531 myself. $1,500 on ebay new