When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM0232 Vs PAM0249

UncleJay

I've been following the 232 and 249 closely, watching to see which I will finally decide on. I'm almost 100% set on the 249, and I'll tell ya why. I've wanted a PAM0021 from day one as all collectors have. The 232 is the closest Panerai has ever come (and probably ever will) to re-producing a 21. I had thought that an OOR version of the 21 would possibly someday be available, but it will not. So my logical choice IS the 232.

When Panerai released the 232 and 249, collectors were blinded by the Cali dial and forgot the similarities between the 232 and the Holy Grail 21. 249's are selling for way over retail and barely a 232 can be found on the market. Seems like dealers are holding onto the 232s knowing they will soon out-price the 249 Cali.

Now, I'm no expert, but I think the 232 will be THE one to have in the future. Maybe it's just my obsession with the beauty and true historic feel and look of the watch, but I LOVE IT! Which would you get?

The PAM0232 Vs The PAM0021 Vs The PAM0249 "Cali"

ZZPAM232.jpgZZPAM21.jpgZZPAM249.jpg

Love the simplicity of the 232. The tobaco dial, closed caseback, and gold hands are the components that come to mind when thinking of a historic PAM, not to for get it being a base (has not only the 6 but the 9 too). The 249 simply does not sing to me. With the plexi glas on the 249 you shall have to baby the thing, PAM's are tool watches made to be worn not babied

If it was not for the 47mm size that my wrists simply can not take, I would have gotten a gen 232 too.

Jay-

I don't know much about you except what I've gleaned from other posts that you've made. Love the 195 btw.

So, I'll ask a couple of questions.

First, is a vintage gen 3646 an appealing piece to you and do you have the funds and a place in your collection to make that happen? Second, are you set on 47mm and do you have a 190 in the collection already? If not (on both counts), that might be a piece to consider as well simply because of the movement pedigree.

Lastly, would this be to keep (safe queen) or wear? I'm not sure about your wrist size, but I'd say that the Cali "looks" like it wears a little smaller than the 232. If you're looking for wrist presence, definitely 232. If you're looking for something historical with a little flair or funkiness to it, then I'd say 249.

Savage

When they first introduced and saw both watches I would say DEFINATELY the 232, didn;t liked the cali at all.

All this until i did my custom Cali dial... I don't know but in photos the cali doesn't seem that nice but in real life it is so beautiful.

Plus it is definately something different than any other 3-6-9-12 Pams.

I would personally now get without any second thought the cali ;)