When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Omega Quartz to Automatic Conversion

dovo1695

I know, I know... it's question truly befitting a noob...but I have to ask.

I was searching ebay for a gen Seamaster Pro and the only one's near my price range were quartz. I got to wondering whether or not it would be possible to buy a quartz Seamaster Pro, pop out that dreadful movement and somehow shoehorn in a brand spanking new ETA from Ofrei's. It seems like the case dimensions are the same for the quartz vs. automatic models. Is it possible? I'm guessing that it isn't but I have to ask. I can't stop wondering and I'm in need of some WIS insight so that I can finally put the issue to rest and get some sleep. ^_^

Be careful - you will then need to replace the hands and the dial actually. If you look at both, the quartz and the automatic, you would notice that on the dial, the date window is more in on the quartz then on the automatic. For a better comparison - just look at the difference in the 3 oclock marker.

More than likely, by the time you try to go from quartz to automatic, you might save yourself the trouble and just spend the extra few bucks and buy a used seamaster.