When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hand winding problem

The click wheel of the automatic winding is not "freewheeling" but is catching, therfore the rotor spins simultaneously with the hand winding making the hand winding rough/ difficult.

I know my way around movements a bit so I'm looking for some DIY tips. I know I need to remove the auto winding bridge but then? ...... some pics or a small guide would be helpful.

Do I grease/ graphite powder the click wheel in order for it to slip? Or do I need to do the opposite and clean it thoroughly?

Thanks!!

It sounds like the auto-winding module (& possibly click/spring) is gummed up. Ideally, you should disassemble the parts & run them through an ultrasonic. If you do not have that, at least disassemble everything & clean each part manually in a glass of warm distilled water with a tablespoon of ammonia added, followed by a rinse in denatured alcohol. Once clean (& dry), relube with Moebius 9010 & it should wind nice & smooth. (I do not know which movement you have, so you might want to check the ETA website for specific oiling recommendations.)

PM sent in Dutch.

A few weeks ago The Zigmeister instructed me in a thread about the current flaws of the A7750 for the same problem. I had mine fixed by simply tightening the little spring that blocks the reversing wheel through the hole of the auto winder bridge. If that doesn't work you have to disassemble the whole autowinding module and you should really know what you're doing to put everything back...

I had mine fixed by simply tightening the little spring that blocks the reversing wheel through the hole of the auto winder bridge.

Thanks for the info but after close examination I don't think thightening the little spring will work. It only prevents the click wheel from reversing (the 7750 is uni-direction winding). Namely when hand winding the rotor will spin in the opposite direction (the winding direction). It therefor has nothing to do with the little spring. So I think it is due to the gummed up reversing wheel. No other solution then disassembling the autowinding module as Freddy said.

BTW: I did try your solution and thightened the spring but it didn't work.....

Thanks for the info but after close examination I don't think thightening the little spring will work. It only prevents the click wheel from reversing (the 7750 is uni-direction winding). Namely the rotor will spin in the opposite direction (the winding direction) when hand winding. So I think it is due to the gummed up reversing wheel. No other solution then disassembling the autowinding module as Freddy wrote.

BTW: I did try your solution and thightened the spring but it didn't work.....

Too bad this didn't work. Good luck with cleaning up and reassembling the autowinding module!