When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

would there be any point for a true 1:1 sub case?

llsteve80

A pal of a pal so to speak owns a big machine shop in TN, and thinks he can make them. Is it that easy? Give him a gen case and bezel and get a 1:1 case copied from him?

This guy seems very confident, all I wanted was to get my case machined to fit a gen bezel, and he mentioned if he had a gen case he can just make a whole one. Didn't tell me how much though.

I don't know how CNC is done, or what has to be done to copy a watch case, but if it is easy, why dont the rep factories do it? They say gen used as example, then the CGs are way off.

Dont they somehow scan it into a computer and then the machines do the rest?

Should I try it? What would you say is a reasonable price?

I am pretty sure that anything can be done, but it depends on how much you want to spend. The two guys I have dealt with for CNC do not scan, but load the design to their machines with a program such as masterCAM. I think that scanning is possible, but I have not seen it personally. It also depends on the quality of their machines to match the fine tolerances. It you want exact, it will cost you. It you want close, not as expensive, but the tolerances will be (+/1) 1/1000 of an inch but that could have an affect on fitting gen parts. The case would have to be exact. I am pretty sure the cost would be extremely high. Just getting my holders made was not cheap and that is a simple design. The majority of the cost is in set up. They have to write a program, load the program, set up the tools and cutters on the machine which takes time. And once the case was milled, then there is the finishing and polishing, tapping, etc. That all takes time and costs money.

At the very least, you could ask him.

I guess I will ask him what the tolerances are. It's a hassle already with him being in TN and I in IL. But he'll look the other way. I don't want to be going around asking shops to copy a trademarked piece if I don't know them.

How does this masterCAM work? do they have to "draw" it or something? I'm trying to picture how this process works since I have no clue. Then again, I can just take it for granted like everyone else ^_^

You can find the Rolex oyster case specs on the internet with all the sizes and specs. I believe it is their patent sheets that show all the measurements. The difficult part would be the threading of the case for the caseback. All the other parts of the case the cnc machine could cut fine. It is amazing what can be cut from a bare bar of steel!

You can find the Rolex oyster case specs on the internet with all the sizes and specs. I believe it is their patent sheets that show all the measurements. The difficult part would be the threading of the case for the caseback. All the other parts of the case the cnc machine could cut fine. It is amazing what can be cut from a bare bar of steel!

I love it, print the patent sheets and take those in!

This is sounding expensive, perhaps he was speaking generally, "heck, I can make a whole case" out of machoism or something, and not making an offer out of practicality.

Can't hurt to call though.