When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OK, I'm getting cocky now

OK, I can get the movement out now. How do I get the dial/hands off? Also, the movement winds but doesn't stop, it just keeps clicking. Can I fix this?

If the movement winds but doesn't stop... maybe check the click? Errr, what do you mean it just keeps clicking? It sounds like the click is working in one direction, but not lock in place to hold the ratchet wheel in place. Do you have a picture, and can you describe more fully?

You should be using hand removers to get the hands off, but if you don't have them, I guess you could use a screwdriver with plastic from a ziploc type bag over the end, and very gently push up from underneath (right beside the cannon pinion). If you decide to take the cannon off know that you will have to remove the keyless cover in order to remove the minute wheel before putting another cannon pinion in.

After you have the hands off, you can start to work on getting the dial off. What movement, and watch are you working on? If it's a Panny, there will be screws on either the side, or on the back of the movement. If they're on the back, you have to turn them until they are no longer locking the feet into the movement. If you take a look at 10x, you'll see how the screw head is shaped, and how far to turn it. After the screws are properly set or loosened, you'll have to ease the dial off the movement. You can do this by putting something under it (at a point where the movement is not solidly underneath it like at the crown), and ease around the dial.

On a lot of rep dials the feet have been soldered on horribly, and they jut out at angles instead of straight out from the dial. It can be a pain in the ass when you're putting it back on because you may have to apply a bit of pressure (it's only a little bit, but even a little bit feels like to much to me), anyway, just remember to take a cautious look at the feet and the movement when you're putting it back on.

Edited by Archronos

Ummm, I hope you didn't practice this on one of your gens.................. :o

LOL, no believe it or not. Have an old 6497 HW movement I'm using. :rolleyes:

I may not have been clear with the problem I want to try and fix. It's a HW 6497 and winds fine. The problem is that it will not stop winding. There is a loud single "click" where it should tighten up and stop winding, and lets me continue to wind. Did I explain it right? :huh:

It sounds like the tang at the end of the mainspring that sticks out through a small hole in the barrel wall may have either broken off or become dislodged & the mainspring is just spinning, loose, in the barrel. In either case, you probably need to replace the mainspring, which is not an expensive part (approx $10).