When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch talk in the poker room....

don't want to burst your bubble but this smells like a disaster waiting to happen. Quit while you are ahead. Or never lost more during the night then you make during the previous day, after costs and taxes..

It already is a disaster....I wont be playing for awhile....all my dough is tied up right now....

If you ever want to make it playing cards your going to have to completely quit gambling in the pit and the machines. I've seen literally hundreds of winning poker players go broke.

Yep....I agree with that....the machines will get ya in the long run....been playing them for a long time to....hard to break old habits....I dont hit the pit much....not into blackjack or bacarat or any other games....

You should never sit at a table with that much of your free cash on the line.

Not sure if I agree with that....many of the players at the tables carry huge bank rolls with them....like over $3000....

The alternative for me is to leave the rest of the money at home and play tight as hell untill I manage to get in on a good pot....which is usually what I do....the problem is that hours go by and the hands never come....

What I should have done was sit at the table with the whole $1000 and raise pre flop every hand that I intended to play....starting with pairs and top ten hands only in early and mid position....varying play a little bit in late position....

Instead I played like a mouse and didnt get much opportunity to be active....too many limp ins....etc....

The games you are playing are extremely beatable with plenty of tourist. You need to keep working your job and start playing 1/2 to build your game up. Not so much to make a living, but to become better.

I play a lot of 1-2....problem for me is that its hard to be aggressive with only $200 - $300 on the table....if it fails even one time im forced to play like a mouse again....

I have a lot of patience....can play 1-2 for over 8 hours straight....winning or losing little....sometimes making a few hundred....

The guys who win where I play have big stacks of dough in their pocket....take big risks....bluffs....etc....I cant pull that off....like I said if it fails even one time im reduced to a mouse....

If you would like to talk, then just shoot me a PM. I'd be more than happy to have lunch with you somewhere or maybe in play for a while to just help you out.

Very cool....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys you see with a lot of money made it just putting in the hours and grinding. When you see a guy bring out 3k to play with...this is not his roll. If he's a regular pro then that represents just a small portion of his roll. If the grind takes too long to build a working roll like that up at the poker tables, then you need to work until you do have that much in free cash.

Trust me it can be done, it just takes patience, hard work, and a knack for the game. I've been a pro for 5-6 years and started at 1-2 NL and moved my way up to some of the highest stakes cash games in the country and a couple world series final tables to add to the resume. You can get there, it's just going to take you a while.

Since you didn't agree with me on the bankroll management thing, I suggest you do a little research on google regarding bankroll management. A lot of players have it down to a science. A good rule of thumb is never play with more than 5% of your roll (very conservative but a good start).

This doesn't apply to players who play for fun. You on the other hand are making money to pay the bills. If you don't correct this it's going to be an endless cycle and you'll be in the exact same place 5 years down the road.

I've been out of town for the past 2 days but will be back in town on Thursday. Come up to the Rio convention center anytime to the 100/200/400 PLO/NL game and ask anyone there for rebel, they'll point you in the right direction.

I'd be happy to let you sweat me in the game and go grab coffee or something.

• 1 month later...

If you want to learn well to play poker start with Super System by Doyle, then go with books by Sklansky and Harrison (for tourneys). they are about the best I`ve read. other poker books just try to ride the wave of popularity of the author and throw in long life stories, etc.

Also, practice a lot online on low limit tables. This will give you chance to test the many possibilities hands play out. In real life game you have many more factors to stress about so better to prepare a bit online before embarking in the live tables world.

But nothing compares to the experience of a live table...

What about some new poker stories? There has been no posts for a while. I hope you are doing well (and the cards too)!

I havent played in awhile....couple of weeks anyway....cant afford to play right now....

I dont have a job.... :(

I had a couple of bad beats awhile back....

I had about $225 in front of me....sitting with pocket sixes....

I flopped a 6....so now I got trips....

The pot was already at $50....so I made a pot size bet of $50....

Everyone folded except for the douche bag to my right....he calls....

The turn card was a 7....he decides to go ALL IN....he was first to act....

I was pretty sure he was on a bluff....or got two pair....certaintly he didnt call my $50 bet with pocket 7s or on a gut shot straight draw....

Or did he?

I called....

Sure enough....the douche bag called my $50 on a gut shot straight draw....the 7 made his hand....

He cleaned me out....

And that was the last hand I played....

Prior to that I went on a real long cold streak....catching really bad cards and not floppin anything for about 10 days....

Lost a lot of money....about $1500....

I just couldnt get anything goin....and the occasional bluffs didnt pay off....

When I start makin some dough again Ill have another run at it....

C-ya....

I did ask him if it was an automatic and he said that it was....quartz was the first thing that crossed my mind also....

Yes 1-2 NLH is a grind....a lot of tight players....

This one guy (who practically lives in the poker room) keeps urging my to step over to the 3-5 NLH table....but the rumor has it that those guys have way too much money and chase every hand down to the river regarless of risk....I think ill stay away....I hear the 10-20 down at the Bellagio is a good game....maybe someday....

I dont get off work untill 10pm tonight....but ill try and hit the tables for atleast 2 hours....ill keep ya guys posted and thanks for the responses....

Thats the problem when you play with rich folks. My friend is a very good poker player and played at a tournament with 500Euro buy-in once. He made it to the top 20 (from about 500), but the problem was that almost all of the other players made re-buys from 1000 to 5000 every 2hours. And he only had his 500. Its almost impossible to win such a game when you opponents just keep buying more and more chips. Thats why he's now only playing in turnaments where there is no 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th re-buy!

I for myself am probably not a very good gambler, because I only play my card when I hit something, I almost never bluff. That always leaves me with profits, but we're talkin about maybe 50euros per game (just a game for fun with my buddies), I would probably never last when playing against top poker players!

Hope you'll be ok...

Did you meet up with Rebel ?

No....I didnt make it down to the Rio....I will when the main event winds down though.....

Wow! I love this thread.

Just don't get stuck driving the bread truck :)

A friend of mine made $75,000 driving a bread truck last year....Know anyone whos hiring?

Im still looking for a job....for some reason its a long and winding road right now....usually it doesnt take this long to land something....

You have to do all your applying online now a days....most of the applications dont get a response....and when you go down to the business to apply they tell you to apply online....catch 22 kinda crap....

I have a job in Oct....selling watches in a high end watch store....I just cant wait that long....I need something now....

So ive been selling stuff on Ebay....my Zippo lighter collection must go.... :( Hopefully I can get about $800 for all my old lighters....

Been thinkin about sellin a couple of watches also....harder to part with those though....

Something will come soon....I know it will....in the meantime im doing vallet at a strip club on the weekends and sellin on the bay....

Thanks for the concerns guys....life in Vegas truely has its ups and downs.... :cry2: