When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does the bezelinsert material on a rep en gen SMP differ?

Thor

It's a great watch for the price, and a great starting point for a "vintagizing" project. Look what can happen... instant 50 years of ageing.

191-8279.jpg

It seems that my reps bezelinsert scratches more easily than the gen of a friend of mine.

Is a gen SMP bezelinsert made from ceramic and a rep from plastic?

it seems some inserts r made cheaper than others, the ones that usually come on the watch seems to be a thinner metal and cheaper paint they use, the aftermarkets r much better made to genuine specs, aka better paint and thicker aluminum , well at least it looks and mills like aluminum , could be pot metal for all i know lol but definitely sturdier than the rep inserts

As far as I can tell, both the genuine and rep SMP’s use aluminum bezel inserts that are painted or “coated” blue or black. What I have noticed is that my genuine Omega’s will scratch, but the coating seems to be much thicker so it does not show the bare metal. On my reps, the coating must be very thin because the smallest of scratches will go through it and appear “silver”. I am guessing that the genuine inserts simply use a better paint (or process for applying that paint), but the underlying material is still aluminum.

Coating is better on gens, materials usally don't differ

Thanks guys. I think it's time for a new insert LOL