When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

10 Mils Plated or just great big Hype?

blingbling

Can any dealers on this forum or factories really gold plate a rep watch 10 mils or is it just a bunch of Hype?????

If so, what are the dealers that can do it? I am looking for a Yatch-Master 40mm w/ white dial and white date wheel w/ swiss movement.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Can any dealers on this forum or factories really gold plate a rep watch 10 mils or is it just a bunch of Hype?????

If so, what are the dealers that can do it? I am looking for a Yatch-Master 40mm w/ white dial and white date wheel w/ swiss movement.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Josh sells a TT YM with a MOP/Diamond dial with 14 kt. wrap for $318.

plating w/ 18 kt is $80 less. go with the wrap IMHO

I am looking for a all gold YM white dial/White date wheel 40mm. Is there anyone that can do that?

I have had several gold yachties and i can tell you there are non that are accurate. Any of the dealers here can get you one but it won't look very good IMO.

I can attest to the fact that the better reps have very thick plating but I doubt it is 10 mils. Tag heuer and movado don't even use this thickness. Thick plating is usually 2.5 mils. Normal commercial plating is only .5 mils.

I have had several gold yachties and i can tell you there are non that are accurate. Any of the dealers here can get you one but it won't look very good IMO.

I can attest to the fact that the better reps have very thick plating but I doubt it is 10 mils. Tag heuer and movado don't even use this thickness. Thick plating is usually 2.5 mils. Normal commercial plating is only .5 mils.

Doesnt price factor in this too?

If someone offered a 2-tone watch with solid gold crwon/bezel/links in the bracelet for like 500 bucks, id say no way. What if this watch cost 1400 bucks tho.

The gen watches that come plated are ususally 10 microns. Here is a link for a Hamilton Khaki with 10 micron plating: http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/webapp/en-us/collection/?c=ka

The gen watches that come plated are ususally 10 microns. Here is a link for a Hamilton Khaki with 10 micron plating: http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/webapp/en-us/collection/?c=ka

This is what I mean. I have a gen Hamilton and two Gen Montblanc Star Gilts. The plating is never going to wear off

on these wacthes. I am looking for full gold reps that have thick plating like these gen. Can anyone on this forum do plating and if so, can they do it 10 mils and what would the cost be?

Also does anyone on this forum offer a full gold plated 10mils or more YM 40 mm with black markers and white dial?????????

Also when it comes to two-tone submariners. I bought one about 5 years ago in the USA, the guy is no longer in business. But the two-tone bracelet of the watch is 100% gold, the bezel and crown are 100% full gold, so I know that there are people out there that can get these for you. The problem is FINDING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, the plating I have experienced has been really good. I can't confirm or deny that it is 10 mils though. I have several watches that are 4 or 5 years old and even older where the plating is as good as new. I haven't worn these daily, but I have seen them get pretty scratched up without fading.

The nice thing about this hobby is you can get a pretty nice gold plated watch for $200 to $300 and if it lasts for a few years you got your money's worth. Mine have exceeded my expectations. Try Andrew or Josh or ruby for the gold yachtmaster. They have what you are looking for and the gold will last for a good amount of time.

The two-tone MBK Sub and "Noob" Sub definitely have "solid" links. The gold is not going to wear off, as the middle links are "full" gold. The actual carat might be very low and the copper content very high... but it's not going to wear off like plating. The middle links are definitely polishable (I've tested it myself). Whatever gold it is... ("trumpet " gold, low carat gold, etc.) it looks quite good on the watches I reviewed.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=70871

The gold issue has been beaten to death over the years. There's a lot in the archives.

web_tt-14k-test1646.jpg