When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone experiencing nerve damage from wearing heavy watches?

rek001

@ Docblackrock

Yep, nothing like an intense, sweaty, no-holds-barred session of quilting.

I prefer tantric, and you?

Tantric? Pffff, life's too short as it is. My social whirlwind diary would suffer. And if truth be told, I'm more the elegant sprinter than laboured long-distance runner :whistling:

(p.s. on a more serious note, if you do opt for CTR surgery, do your homework as it's one of the most surgeon-dependent procedures in terms of outcome - both sensory and motor function - some prefer the endoscopic technique, some prefer the trusty old 'open' method. Former is better for the patient, latter easier for the surgeon. Oh and high dose Vitamin B6 has also shown mild benefits in symptom control, worth a shot)

Tantric quilting...the mind just reels.

That was fun doc, thanks!

As for CTR surgery, I had it a weeks ago last Friday, endoscopically, under local block, done by one of the top micro hand surgeons in Chicago (had to wait 5 weeks for an appointment).

I had an EMG done, and it came back abnormal, I also have an entrapped ulnar nerve in my right elbow, sigh. I'll probably need surgery to release that too.

Apparently if I didn't address the situation I eventually could lose mobility of my right thumb.

Anyway, I was back at work immediately, had some swelling and tenderness, but very minor all things considered. I woke up the other night with mild tingling and numbness in the operated hand, but nowhere as bad as before.

Getting stitches removed Friday, then 1 month of physical therapy.

Thanks for the advice doc, I'll try the vitamin B6.

Tantric quilting...the mind just reels.

That was fun doc, thanks!

As for CTR surgery, I had it a weeks ago last Friday, endoscopically, under local block, done by one of the top micro hand surgeons in Chicago (had to wait 5 weeks for an appointment).

I had an EMG done, and it came back abnormal, I also have an entrapped ulnar nerve in my right elbow, sigh. I'll probably need surgery to release that too.

Apparently if I didn't address the situation I eventually could lose mobility of my right thumb.

Anyway, I was back at work immediately, had some swelling and tenderness, but very minor all things considered. I woke up the other night with mild tingling and numbness in the operated hand, but nowhere as bad as before.

Getting stitches removed Friday, then 1 month of physical therapy.

Thanks for the advice doc, I'll try the vitamin B6.

Ah, apologies realised that after I'd posted. But you know he just wasn't testing your leftie as a control don't you? CT syndrome usually manifests bilaterally, and you should be looking to have the other done around 6 months after the first. An abnormal EMG would confirm the likely prognosis, and since outcomes are improved the earlier the intervention, I'm sure he'd be advising you to have the leftie done as soon as the rightie has healed fully (usually assessed about 3 months post-op)

Crap, ulnar nerve too? Jeez. You really are paying for living a life of debauched quilting aren't you. Personally I'd be far more worried about that than your wrists, pain nonwithstanding. Cubital tunnel syndrome is altogether much more complicated and serious, both in terms of symptoms, function, corrective surgical techniques, post-op rehab (cast/splint) plus prognosis. Extremely variable. If your hand starts to 'claw', you're looking at potential nerve damage and muscle atrophy. Not good. To be avoided.