When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone experiencing nerve damage from wearing heavy watches?

rek001

I know this is a downer subject but, I just came back from physical therapy, I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right hand a week ago.

My hand was going totally numb and I'd wake up at night with the sensation as if it was on fire, really scared me.

So the right hand is healing nicely, and I'm experiencing a bit of numbness, but not as much as before surgery. All good.

As part of the PT evaluation, the therapist checked my left hand sensitivity to touch as a sort of baseline to compare to the right.

She used these pens with different fishline thicknesses, from very thin to stubby, supposedly it tells you how fine your sense of touch is.

Surprisingly, my left hand was 1 level below normal, and I do experience some numbness in the left, nowhere as bad as the right though.

I wear my watches on my left hand.

I just acquired a stunningly beautiful blue dial BCE, but my God, that watch is heavy.

Now I'm beginning to worry a bit that wearing all these heavy watches may be slowly damaging the nerves that run through my left wrist.

I'm completely used to wearing heavy watches, I don't even notice it on my wrist. I wear them low and fairly tight, so the wach doesn't slide down and cut into the top of my hand.

I'm thinking, well, maybe I'll limit the amount of time I wear a heavy watch, then "slip into something more comfortable" which means I'll have to carry an extra watch to work, which sounds silly.

Anyone else have similar situation?

Please tell me it's all going to be OK, I love my big heavy watches.

As a gesture of kindness, I will allow you to send me your Breitling. This will allow you to heal and not be tempted to put it on. I promise to send it back when you need it (if you can find me).

I know this will be a burden for me and may even cause me pain...so you can send me a few dollars with the watch to compensate me. ;)

OK calm down, you unsympathetic vultures. Sheesh, tough crowd.

OK, I've made an executive decision - I'm going to try and reduce the amount of time I wear my truly heavy watches - my inexpensive APROOs, Pams, the BCE.

For instance, my BCE, I'll wear it to the office for a few hours, then take it off and give my wrist a breather, then put it back on.

Wearing "heavy" watches does not increase your probability to suffer of periferal nerve disease. Carpal tunnel syndrome on your opposite arm does. A little.

OK, my surgeon said that taking care of my right hand may possibly benefit my left hand, the nerves criss-cross each other in the neck and spine, so I'm hoping I won't need surgery for the left hand too.

What got me into trouble was 20 years of using a computer mouse daily for hours, lifting too many weights at the gym incorrectly and carrying a heavy briefcase, too much strain on the hands, wrists and elbows. And ignoring numbness and discomfort for about 6 years before I went to see the hand surgeon.

But I'm correcting these things, I'm looking into a graphics tablet with pen as an input device, going to get a personal trainer and I'm now using a nice messenger bag.

So you are probably right, wearing heavy watches isn't part of the problem.

OK, my surgeon said that taking care of my right hand may possibly benefit my left hand, the nerves criss-cross each other in the neck and spine, so I'm hoping I won't need surgery for the left hand too.

What got me into trouble was 20 years of using a computer mouse daily for hours, lifting too many weights at the gym incorrectly and carrying a heavy briefcase, too much strain on the hands, wrists and elbows. And ignoring numbness and discomfort for about 6 years before I went to see the hand surgeon.

But I'm correcting these things, I'm looking into a graphics tablet with pen as an input device, going to get a personal trainer and I'm now using a nice messenger bag.

So you are probably right, wearing heavy watches isn't part of the problem.

Messenger bags are definitely the way to go :good: Okay, they're not really as smart as a briefcase, but in terms of 'transportation', they're much more comfortable to carry around, and can hold a surprizing amount of stuff :) As for the carpal tunnel, I'm not sure if it'd be a help or a hinderance, but might playing (or learning to play) a musical instroment, or maybe playing video games be good physical therapy? I know too much would likely lead to repeat strain, but in short sessions, it might provide a good 'work out' for the ligaments, at the very least, it will be good training for your dexterity :) Get well soon :)

Hmmmm....Looks okay to me. B) .......Although excessive whipping of the skippy can lead to wrist trauma, so cancel those subscriptions to Gent magazine.

handxray1vt8.jpg

BCE on leather doesn't seem particularly heavy to me. Without pulling out the scale, my guess is that the UPO and Chopard GMT on SS bracelets are my heaviest, although the BCE on bracelet could be in the running as well. Sometimes the UPO starts to feel a bit uncomfortable, but I can't imagine any of these watches causing carpal problems.

Over the last few years I've spent more time working on laptops than using regular keyboards and mice, and that's an area where I need to be careful not to overdo extremely repetitive activities such as copying and pasting.

Who suggested video games as therapy? To me that seems like a patently bad idea.

Who suggested video games as therapy? To me that seems like a patently bad idea.

That was me...

And not in hardcore day long sessions, just a little bit here and there (or playing a musical instroment) for dexterity and a mild work out. Afterall, people undergo physiotherapy following an incapacitating injury, that involves using those parts affected, just in a very gentle way... At the end of the day, it was just a suggestion, no one has to follow it ;)

I honestly don't know what to make of this thread. Slightly bizarre. Reminds me of the old joke about the guy who goes to see his doctor complaining of excruciating pain. "When do you get this pain?" asks the doctor. "When I wrap my arm around the back of my neck and jerk my elbow up violently" says the patient. He leaves 2 minutes later, cured.

;)

Thanks R, most chivalrous of you but - it could conceivably happen to females beacause of a, you know, certain activity too. ;)

:o

:D

@ Docblackrock

Yep, nothing like an intense, sweaty, no-holds-barred session of quilting.

I prefer tantric, and you?

@ R

Hey, long time no talk, how's it going?

And mind in the gutter is a good, normal, healthy thing.