When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SLR Lenses

Dani

Hi all,

I now we have some great photografs on this forum so i think its good to ask here :)

I have a Nikon D60 and i need some better Lenses.

I have looked on this

Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6G IF-ED Zoom / you think this coud be good allround lens?

Nikon 12-24mm f4G ED-IF AFS Lens for Digital SLR /very expensive worth it?

Also i think maybe its good to buy flash unit like the sb-600 as i thake many pics in the night and inside places..Or is it not nessesary?

I thake most pics of

Animals

nature

City /graffiti,street art and such

cars

people

Almost forgot watches and straps :p

Let me now your thoughts.

If anyone have good sites to buy that ship int then pleas let me now :)

Cheers,

Dani

I have a very old D70 and It still takes good pictures!

Your first pick: Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6G IF-ED Zoom / you think this coud be good allround lens - is good!

or a 35-70 and a 70-300 for Zoom! Nikon have a very in-expensive 35-70 like the type above, but their Zooms are expensive,

not unless money is no object! On a budget? Sigma and Tamron makes good Zoom lenses! You could also look for some used

or refurbished lenses online! Unless you're going Pro, (which I don't think you do or else you'll have a D300 and above), a

35-70 and a 70-300 should be good enough!

Definitely get an external Speedlight! You need it for wide angle and Zoom shots! The built in Flash does not have enough

power!

The Nikkor 18-200 VR and Nikkor 18-55 VR are fantastic lenses. You can't go wrong with either, they are lightweight, very wide and very sharp. If you need the reach, go with the 200. If you need a close min focusing distance for watch shots, get the 18-55 VR. My suggestion is to get both!

My 10 year old son took this with a D60 and 18-55 VR. This is his first watch photo ever, the watch is sitting on his lap in the passenger seat and I am driving 75 mph. Not too shabby IMO. :D

107copy-2.jpg

Here's another one he took under the same conditions.

116copy.jpg

Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6G IF-ED Zoom / you think this coud be good allround lens?

Nikon 12-24mm f4G ED-IF AFS Lens for Digital SLR /very expensive worth it?

No fast lenses?

I'd go for anything in f2.8 or faster. If you're going people, you need an f1.4.

Hi Dani,

the Tamron AF 3,5-6,3/28-300 XR Di VC is supposed to be a very good all-round lens.

I buy my stuff at www.fotokoch.de or www.fotobrenner.de , but hey, I am a German (speak the lingo) in Denmark (EU - no custom problems) ;)

Happy hunting!

Volker

The Nikon lens has very good reviews on its VR system and that is importent for me.

But thanks for your advice :)

The Nikkor 18-200 VR and Nikkor 18-55 VR are fantastic lenses. You can't go wrong with either, they are lightweight, very wide and very sharp. If you need the reach, go with the 200. If you need a close min focusing distance for watch shots, get the 18-55 VR. My suggestion is to get both!

Hi :)

I have the 18-55 its good but it lacks zoom and i find from my search that the 200 seems very good for everyday use.

what you think of the 12-24 worth it or learn more first then buy it?

Flash i will buy as its something i need for my inndor and night shots.

Yes, fast lenses are a must for nice bokeh and shooting in low light conditions with natural light.

I will look into that.

Cheers,

Dani

I will look into that.

I'd start with looking into that sort of thing. You're listing some exceedingly fancy bits of kit yet you're missing some basics, like a decent fast lens. If I were you, I'd learn more about your camera before spending money, unless the cash is fun money.

I'd start with looking into that sort of thing. You're listing some exceedingly fancy bits of kit yet you're missing some basics, like a decent fast lens. If I were you, I'd learn more about your camera before spending money, unless the cash is fun money.

My english is not so good so my tecnial terms in this subject is lacking.

Coud you explain fast lens and why its good to have compard to lets say the 12-24 or the 55-200.

Keep in mind i em not in any way gone try make pro work out of this, its hobby and fun only.

At 23 i have lots to learn and time on my side :)

Thanks guys.

Cheers

bought the 18-200 and a flash sb-600.

man its good.

took this pic when it was still light outside nothing fancy but fun to get it all black in background.

not easy to thake good photos but i em learning :)

dsc0119id6.jpg