When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Dry Lubricant will you recommend?

yim156

Hi, it's me again. hahaha.....

I just got the Ing Chrono from member on this board last week. Well, I am still waiting for the parcel to come.

Meanwhile, I have to find all the tools and lube to work on it. This will be my first project. :1a:

Hopefully I would not break it........ hahaaaaa...........

I have visited eBay and found 4 different types of dry lubricant.

1. MR. ZIP" EXTRA FINE GRAPHITE Lock Lubricant ::: This is a graphite lubricant. This item is the cheapest item including shipping on eBay. From the review by Francisco, it should be fine as he use this with watches with Sec@6.

Read Graphite Lubrication For Resuscitating Seconds at 6 Movements, IWC Portuguese, Daytonas and similars - By Francisco

2. PineCar Pinewood Derby Dry White Teflon Lubricant ::: This is a dry Teflon lubricant. No idea and no description on the item.

3. PINEWOOD DERBY DRY LUBRICANT - NANOTECHNOLOGY (WS2) ::: This one is described is dry Tungsten. And the specification as following.

- COEFFICIENT OF FRICTION .03 DYNAMIC, .07 STATIC

- TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE FROM -450 DEGREES F TO 1200 DEGREES F.

- LOAD BEARING PROPERTY OF COATED FILM IS VERY HIGH AT 300,000 PSI.

4. MILITEC-1 DRY LUBE .5 oz Synthetic Metal Conditioner ::: This one is described as dry Synthetic metal lube. The seller said that the lube is being used with firearms by military in Iraq. Wow......

- Reduces corrosion, carbon and lead build-up

- Remains on the metal even after repeated firing - - a minimum of 1,000 rounds

- Is highly concentrated and long-lasting. One ounce of MILITEC-1 surpasses eight ounces of CLP-type lubricants

Which would you like ? :bounce:

I think I will place order on #2, #3 tonight. Well, they are only $4-5 each, don't need to rob the bank. =@

When I receive the item, I will post how the powder look.

Cheers.

Yim

Edited by yim156

BTW, I just found one more item.

5. OTIS 902D Special Forces Dry Lube ::: This one is a drop-&-dry lubricant. Seller states that it is Lubricant/Cleaner/Preservitive at the same time.

Just one drop it will lube 1 inch of the area and dry within 20 sec. This also is a Woww........

What do you think ??? :band1:

BTW, Forgot to state that the items' price are different by $0.50 - $1.00 and the #5 is the most expensive @ $9.24 shipped CONUS.

PS. This lube is not included in the list. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Edited by yim156

I've used some of the drop on wet, instant dry type lubes before, while they are great for some jobs they are far to heavy for watch use. Something that goes on as a very fine powder is going to be best. Remember the original poster blew off almost all traces of the graphite before re-assembly

I've used some of the drop on wet, instant dry type lubes before, while they are great for some jobs they are far to heavy for watch use. Something that goes on as a very fine powder is going to be best. Remember the original poster blew off almost all traces of the graphite before re-assembly

Wow............

I don't understand what you mean by "far too heavy for watch use". Could you please explain me on this?

As far as I understand from the original post of dry lubricant, the powder is used to polish the gear plate. It would be applied the same way as car polish by apply over the surface and remove all the visible powder.

We only need thin invisible coated surface, not powder. I understand that the powder will cause problem the same way dust on dirty movement do.

Btw, we also need to polish the surface when use the drop-dry lube to remove the excess chemical. It states on one website.

PS. I already buy #3 and drop-dry Dupont. Wait & see what I will receive. hahaha........