When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch shopping in Geneve

jmt

I am going to Geneve for a few days in early August. I have heard its a great place to get some deals on the gens, particularly used ones. Anyone know any shops or markets I should check out?

Thanks in advance!

J

The best advice is to bring plenty of greenbacks because the Euro is murdering the dollar right now. Geneva is a spectacular city, but when I was last there in 96, the watch market did have some really good things to offer, and you can find them all over the city. Town center seemed to be the best group of watch stores congregated in one place.

Good luck. Don't forget to wear some lederhosen!

There are plenty of unknown brands over there. I would suggest give them a look. Most are using ETA based movement, some well decorated by hands (usually bigger caliber like ETA6497). You can actually get a gen with ETA based for about 300 dollar (already counting weak USD).

As to where, walk about city centre. They are scattered.

@hambone

1. We dont have Euros in Switzerland, we have Swiss Francs (CHF)

2. We dont wear Lederhosen, the germans do! :-)

Greets from Zurich!

I were in Zurich in May 2008 and paid by euros everywhere. The good thing with that was that when you bought something for example 200 CHF and paid with a

@hambone

1. We dont have Euros in Switzerland, we have Swiss Francs (CHF)

2. We dont wear Lederhosen, the germans do! :-)

Greets from Zurich!

Yes, I was kidding, Lederhosen is worn by Germans, however the language of choice in Switzerland is German, so you might as well strap on those leather shorts! :D

There are plenty of unknown brands over there. I would suggest give them a look. Most are using ETA based movement, some well decorated by hands (usually bigger caliber like ETA6497). You can actually get a gen with ETA based for about 300 dollar (already counting weak USD).

As to where, walk about city centre. They are scattered.

Sound advice. And if you get to other smaller cities even better. Many small shops make their house brands with very nice designs and great movements at very decent prices. I even remember seeing awesome house-brand chronos (auto) for around CHF1000-1500.

• 2 weeks later...