When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

fake 5512 mid case on ebay

thewightstuff

the tube is actually twinlock so would have been on watches up to approx 1969 as original fitment. they were replaced by the 702 triplock which was then superceded by the present 703 in around 1972. i'll need to check my paperwork and service bulletins for exact dates.

this would mean that a 3.4m serial could have had early triplock but would have been unlikely to have had twinlock still.

the twinlock is correct for pointed crown guards but then they dont tie in with the rest of the watch.

Wow! $2347.00 for a shaky case!

I don't like the crown guards either- the pic from the top, they're too fat, side pic- no droop.

Maybe it's an early case tube- 701. My 1680 from 1978 had the 24-702 crown and tube and Rolex used this assembly till around then or so- like 1980, maybe when the 16800 came around and they went to the 24-703 assembly. But that is not a 702 case tube- the 702 has the threads against the case and the top of the tube is smooth.

post-175-1214507161_thumb.jpg

BTW, wight, here's my matte dial 16800 on the left next to my noob- just had to do it!