When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have you had movement problems with your chs GMTIIC?

freddy333

Correct hand stack GMTIIC Problems?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had to return your chs GMTIIC for movement repairs?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I have had movement problems, but I have not returned the watch for repairs.

Thank you, and good advice re: keeping it away from water. I had water get into the watch twice from simple stuff like washing my hands and spraying some glass cleaner on the crystal. It is very clear to me now that the water came in on the 3:00 side of the crystal. I can't tell you how long it was bothering me that I couldn't figure it out.

Anything is possible, but I think it is alot more likely that moisture entered your case through the crown/tube or thereabouts. The crystals on these watches may not be installed perfectly, but unless your crystal is significantly higher on 1 side than the other (the height difference when I view my crystal from the side is barely perceptible), I seriously doubt that is the source of the leakage. But it is always best to keep any watch that has not been recently pressure tested away from all moisture.

Either with a good crystal press

msa07.151.jpg

Or, carefully, with a rubber-jawed vice

417WW10V96L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have to say, again, that if your crystal looks similar to this

crystalheight0121.jpg

Righting it is probably not going to seal a leaky case. More likely, I would think that either the crystal was installed without a gasket or sealant (you will need to remove the crystal & apply sealant) or you have a leaking crown/tube/caseback gasket or an improperly installed crown tube, which is a frequent source of moisture entering a rep watch.

Also, it was quite evident with the insert out that the crystal is not set correctly. SO BE CAREFULL AROUND WATER until you get it set properly. I would think that if we can figure out how to get the bezel off, resetting the crystal shouldnt be difficult.

Thank you, and good advice re: keeping it away from water. I had water get into the watch twice from simple stuff like washing my hands and spraying some glass cleaner on the crystal. It is very clear to me now that the water came in on the 3:00 side of the crystal. I can't tell you how long it was bothering me that I couldn't figure it out.

Anything is possible, but I think it is alot more likely that moisture entered your case through the crown/tube or thereabouts. The crystals on these watches may not be installed perfectly, but unless your crystal is significantly higher on 1 side than the other (the height difference when I view my crystal from the side is barely perceptible), I seriously doubt that is the source of the leakage. But it is always best to keep any watch that has not been recently pressure tested away from all moisture.

Righting it is probably not going to seal a leaky case. More likely, I would think that either the crystal was installed without a gasket or sealant (you will need to remove the crystal & apply sealant) or you have a leaking crown/tube/caseback gasket or an improperly installed crown tube, which is a frequent source of moisture entering a rep watch.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the improperly setted crystal! I have checked the caseback, tube gasket and crown and greased them on mine and it still leaked and

the moisture and water droplets are just present on the crystal, rehaut and dial!

I warned my my dealer about this major flaw and he pulled the item from his web site. I guess he's returning his stock to the manufacturer or having his watchsmith

QC and fix the problem!

Guest avitt

Wow...The results of this poll aren't too encouraging. As it stands, the failure rate is nearly 50%.

I remember a poll taken on the 1st gen. A7750 several years ago...I think that the failure rate on that one (after several months on the market) was only about 30%.

Not sure. Remember this thread was begun to gauge the number & types of problems that GMTIIC owners experience, not success stories.

Maybe we should start a new GMTIIC poll asking which movement you have (chs or ihs Swiss or ihs Asian) & what state your watch is in (ok, running with problems, dead or Returned for repair/exchange)?

UPDATE - I just started a new Poll thread. If you own 1 of these GMTIIC reps, please enter your experience there so we can get a better idea of the failure (or not) rate.

Thanks.

I have a question.....I have a old style GMT master with an ETA 2893 movement...a true GMT movement. When I change the GMT hand it JUMPS from one point to another around the dial.

With my ceramic GMT with correct hand stack.....when I tried changing the HOUR hand it never did JUMP...instead it would move as I turned the crown like I was changing the time and I would feel a slight CLICK which signaled me that this was the spot the hand should be in.

Is THIS how everyone elses ceramic GMT works or was this a signal that something was wrong? By the way the second time I tried changing the time the watch broke and is now in Chaina for repairs.

I have a question.....I have a old style GMT master with an ETA 2893 movement...a true GMT movement. When I change the GMT hand it JUMPS from one point to another around the dial.

With my ceramic GMT with correct hand stack.....when I tried changing the HOUR hand it never did JUMP...instead it would move as I turned the crown like I was changing the time and I would feel a slight CLICK which signaled me that this was the spot the hand should be in.

Is THIS how everyone elses ceramic GMT works or was this a signal that something was wrong? By the way the second time I tried changing the time the watch broke and is now in Chaina for repairs.

That sounds normal for the chs rep. In the GMT stem-setting position (1st click-stop), my hour hand does seem to 'jump' between each of the hour markers, but the jumps are nowhere as well defined as the hour hand's movements on the gen GMT. So we may be observing the same effect using different descriptions.

Anyone else care to chime in?