When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Music of Hawaii

hambone

Funny how music can transport you back to a specific time in your life, from the way the air felt and smelt to the way you felt at that time. . Beautiful music it is also amd unlike anything else in the world. I heard this song the other day by Keola and Kapono Beamer, whose mom Nona Beamer was a familiar face around the house. Hawaii has many different races in one place and we all make fun of each other. Frank Delima is the master of it, but this song, Mr San Cho Lee, summed it up well...

Mr. San Cho Lee

Mr San Cho Lee (Mr San Cho Lee), got plenty lychee

Got plenty lychee, but he no give to me

And he

Funny how music can transport you back to a specific time in your life, from the way the air felt and smelt to the way you felt at that time. . Beautiful music it is also amd unlike anything else in the world. I heard this song the other day by Keola and Kapono Beamer, whose mom Nona Beamer was a familiar face around the house. Hawaii has many different races in one place and we all make fun of each other. Frank Delima is the master of it, but this song, Mr San Cho Lee, summed it up well...

Mr. San Cho Lee

Mr San Cho Lee (Mr San Cho Lee), got plenty lychee

Got plenty lychee, but he no give to me

And he

How about Israel Kamakawiwo'ole?

Please be easy on the dumb tourist. :p

I only know the islands as my 2 week Honeymoon and I'm sure there's more traditional stuff out there that the locals listen to. However, while we were there, we were treated to this music all over Maui and the Big Island. Anytime I think of IZ, I think of one of the best trips I've ever taken. The food was amazing, the weather was amazing, the service industry was amazing, etc. etc.

I want to buy a vacation house in Kapalua or Lahaina.

How about Israel Kamakawiwo'ole?

Please be easy on the dumb tourist. :p

I only know the islands as my 2 week Honeymoon and I'm sure there's more traditional stuff out there that the locals listen to. However, while we were there, we were treated to this music all over Maui and the Big Island. Anytime I think of IZ, I think of one of the best trips I've ever taken. The food was amazing, the weather was amazing, the service industry was amazing, etc. etc.

I want to buy a vacation house in Kapalua or Lahaina.

Hey Froggy !!

Bruddah IZ's passing was a great loss... he is the only non political / government figure that was allowed to Lie In State at the capital Rotunda.... I remember going to see the original "Makaha sons of Niihau" at the old M's Ranch House.. his brother Skippy .. same size and he made unreal music... Skippy past long before Bruddah IZ....

btw.. the average house in Hawaii not kapalua or Lahaina starts at 1 mil. .. the area's you want .. sheesh...put it this way Lanikai beachfront goes for 7 mil. .. some estates on the beach in Kailua... 23 mil on up.. we can dream... B)

Wow.. married here.. we take for granted what people dream about.. time to reevaluate ... I am blessed and grateful to live here.. even though the cost of living is one of the highest ....

Yeah Lani, Hawaii is not like it was when we were in school. 10 cent bus fare. Checkers and Pogo. They have L&L BBQ here in Vegas but not the same. Sukenjos plate lunch in Waikamilo is the most ono. Speaking of ono, Ono Hawaiian food on Kapahulu is awesome, if they are still there. I lived Kapahulu area for awhile and that street was full of great grinds. I'm getting hungry.

Yeah Lani, Hawaii is not like it was when we were in school. 10 cent bus fare. Checkers and Pogo. They have L&L BBQ here in Vegas but not the same. Sukenjos plate lunch in Waikamilo is the most ono. Speaking of ono, Ono Hawaiian food on Kapahulu is awesome, if they are still there. I lived Kapahulu area for awhile and that street was full of great grinds. I'm getting hungry.

Anytime I'm on my way home and there is a open spot in front of ONO's MY vehicle automatically parks... a few day's ago I had my usual

chicken laulau.. pipikaula... lomi..etra large poi.. (btw) dry winter.. so the poi is the best in decades.. swweeet..... maui onions with hawaiian salt... and chili pepper water on the side.. and T.. alway's throws in extra pieces of haupia.. ohhhhh... *burp* :p

Tsukenjos is now in Kakaako .. kanak attack is for going to sleep afta.. :rolleyes:

Pogo.. Gerris White.. he was actually a brilliant public speaker.... devoute Mormon.. dynamic Orator ....

they are getting ready to start the fixed raised rail system soon.. from

Ewa side to town... they'll srew it up somehow.. if they started 15 years ago when it was proposed, it would be done by now Mayor Mufi Hannamen wanted it when he was just a councilman..... now the ones that were opposed want it done yesterday.. sh!t ...

have a good week HB.. .... one last .. no more jumping off Portlock cliff... can't even get ot it anymore..

Wow.. married here.. we take for granted what people dream about.. time to reevaluate ... I am blessed and grateful to live here.. even though the cost of living is one of the highest ....
Lucky you live Hawaii. Anyplace else is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Every time you leave the islands and come back, you do reevaluate........and appreciate it more.

btw.. the average house in Hawaii not kapalua or Lahaina starts at 1 mil. .. the area's you want .. sheesh...put it this way Lanikai beachfront goes for 7 mil. .. some estates on the beach in Kailua... 23 mil on up.. we can dream... B)

Yes, my friend, I did say WANT to buy...not necessarily will. However, one day, who knows. My wife and I vowed that we will visit Maui every other year or at least within a 5 year period. I want to golf at Kapalua Bay again!

On the big Island, we stayed at Chalet Kilauea in the Ohia rain forest (outside of Volcano Village, Hilo). It was the most unique place I'd ever been...couldn't live there, but it was most certainly worth the stay. Additionally, there was a Thai restaurant called "Thai Thai" that has to be the best Thai food we'd ever had. I know that's not pure Hawaiian, but we're going back there one day as well.

I'll let you know next time we're in Maui...we should meet for a "Lava Flow" or 2 or 3. ;)

Yes, my friend, I did say WANT to buy...not necessarily will. However, one day, who knows. My wife and I vowed that we will visit Maui every other year or at least within a 5 year period. I want to golf at Kapalua Bay again!

On the big Island, we stayed at Chalet Kilauea in the Ohia rain forest (outside of Volcano Village, Hilo). It was the most unique place I'd ever been...couldn't live there, but it was most certainly worth the stay. Additionally, there was a Thai restaurant called "Thai Thai" that has to be the best Thai food we'd ever had. I know that's not pure Hawaiian, but we're going back there one day as well.

I'll let you know next time we're in Maui...we should meet for a "Lava Flow" or 2 or 3. ;)

definately need to get something arranged for you and Mrs. Frog...Omni is on Maui too .... ball alway's breaks to the setting sun... B) most courses especially during the summer months.. grass pulls that way..

Thai restaurants .. are great in Hawaii.. one of ma fav foods...getting hungry.. I'm going vietnamese today... :D

Check out the Silver Sword Inn.. on the way up to Haleakala.. that is a cool spot to spen a day or so at .. then take the trip up the the top..

Anytime I'm on my way home and there is a open spot in front of ONO's MY vehicle automatically parks... a few day's ago I had my usual

chicken laulau.. pipikaula... lomi..etra large poi.. (btw) dry winter.. so the poi is the best in decades.. swweeet..... maui onions with hawaiian salt... and chili pepper water on the side.. and T.. alway's throws in extra pieces of haupia.. ohhhhh... *burp* :p

Tsukenjos is now in Kakaako .. kanak attack is for going to sleep afta.. :rolleyes:

Pogo.. Gerris White.. he was actually a brilliant public speaker.... devoute Mormon.. dynamic Orator ....

they are getting ready to start the fixed raised rail system soon.. from

Ewa side to town... they'll srew it up somehow.. if they started 15 years ago when it was proposed, it would be done by now Mayor Mufi Hannamen wanted it when he was just a councilman..... now the ones that were opposed want it done yesterday.. sh!t ...

have a good week HB.. .... one last .. no more jumping off Portlock cliff... can't even get ot it anymore..

When I attended Kaiser High, we lived in the house at 175 Hanapepe Loop, purchased in 1974. The Portlock cliffs were a regular hangout and I have spent many days there. My dog even used to jump off the cliffs to fetch a tennis ball. It is that spot where I befriended Paul andLinda McCartney, as they were renting the cliffside hom used for both Hawaii 5-O and Magnum PI. Great memories.

Mahalo for the update on the grinds bruddah! B)