When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bezel Insert: Best glue for underwater use ?

AMK000

Thanks Chief ...but most of the rep RXLs around (including MBW / MBK) do not accept genuine bezels (without extra treatment) .... therefore gen bezels cannot be snaped in in to these watches .... they have to be glued.

BTW , what is GS Hypo ..... need to find out what is the equivalent EU product.

Thanks any way.

I am looking for a glue (metal to metal) good for underwater use. (for a RX bezel insert).

The second question is ... how you take it off later if needed (let's say cause you ve lost the pearl and you have to put a new insert)

Any advise / tecnique or trick , will be appreciated.

Thanks

AMK

I use a product called Shoe Goo. It's water proof and can be removed if you don't use too much. Just put about 8 small drops spaced evenly across the back side of the insert and press firmly for about a minute. Let it dry overnight and you're good to go. If you have some ooz out, a little acetone (nail polish remover) will remove it and shouldn't harm the insert finish.

I've used this on my sub and SSD and both have been in pools and the ocean without a problem.

It's also a nice adhesive in that if you get a little between the case and bezel, you can work it out by rotating the bezel several times. it will probably squeeze out between the crystal and bezel insert in a little rubber ball.

Good luck.

Mike

I have recently done a couple of Seiko bezel replacements, and used GS Hypo cement.

Seemed to work OK!

The trick is to not use too much..... don't put on enough to create "ooze" out the sides.....like mjm above, I put on maybe 8-12 small drops in the centre of the insert, so it flowed out to the edges, but didn't overflow, as I was concerned that in trying to clean up later (with acetone) may damage the insert face.

If the bezel is of the "hollow" centre style, like the Seikos, an alternate may be Loctite 358 UV cure, but due to its UV curing, you need to expose the glue to UV light, which would not be possible in solid bezels.

Offshore

PS have found the Loctite a wonderful glue for crystal replacements, nice and thin to work with, and an easy clean up afterwards....now if we could only get it in a tube like the GS hypo...that is just a great nozzle setup GS have on that glue dispenser!