When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Longines Hydro Conquest Chronograph

chrgod

I have been on the fence for a while, quite satisfied with the replicas i have and more inclined to buy genuines.

One of the brands I have been interested in is Longines. A old honorable Swiss brand, the choice of Lindbergh on his transatlantic flight.... In the present Swatch group brand hierarchy Longines is positioned below Omega, but above Tissot.

Some of the vintage Longines are nice dress watches.. They have cool names as Conquest, Admiral and Flagship!

Longines replicas have been scare.. But some weeks ago a good replica of the Hydro Conquest hit the market.. In design, it is very similar to the TAG Heuer Aquaracer. A divers chronograph, based on the 7750, in a nice 41.5mm size. Apparently, this was replicated from a genuine.

I have not bought one yet.. But would like to read some comments and opinions about this one. :)

The original 7750 version exists in three different versions, Aluminium bezel (reminding of the black Omega Seamaster Pro) , stud bezel ( as on the Aquaracer) and a relief bezel (as on the Yacht-Master).

Alubezel1.jpgwhite_hydroconquest.jpgAlubezel2.jpg

Genuine dial/bezel options. So far, the Yachtie-bezel is not on the Replica market. Too bad, the stud-bezel does not have the angular marker on the hours hand..

Personally, I prefer the stud bezel, on white dial. Don't like the round hours markers on the black bezel version, and the Yachtie version is too flashy. Besides, A Tachymetre scale is a must on a chronograph! :lol:

Likely, this watch will never be a big seller.. And that is actually what I like. Being a Longines, it is not likely to be called out. Still, it is a great watch from a good brand!

But how good is the replica?

1214295274199558098.jpgwhite_hydroconquest.jpg

Quite close, I think..? :g:

4c0d3c6f90754605a7ce776f1d67f37eima.jpgimg1920dq9.jpg

Replica clasp versus genuine.

img0385es7.jpg1214295986426101977.jpg

Genuine caseback (from a non-chrono version) versus the replica. I bet this replica is from the same maker as the Aquaracer.. They have filled ink in the lettering on the caseback, even though the genuine does not seem to have it! :lol: As usual, the genuine looks a bit more refined.

P1240022.jpgP1240117.jpg

P1240061.jpg

Some close-ups of the genuine.. This watch has some nice touches!

1214295634033654393.jpg2123d.jpg

Replica versus genuine.

I like Longines too but in the case of the Hydro Conquest I was surprised that there is a rep as the gen is not that expensive. You can get a pre owned chrono for around 1500 US$ and without chrono it costs less than half of that amount. Even some reps cost more! They should make a good rep version of the Lindbergh Hour Angle IMO.

I like Longines too but in the case of the Hydro Conquest I was surprised that there is a rep as the gen is not that expensive. You can get a pre owned chrono for around 1500 US$ and without chrono it costs less than half of that amount. Even some reps cost more! They should make a good rep version of the Lindbergh Hour Angle IMO.

Yet another example of the disturbing trend of selling reps for 40% of a used gen (by the time you replace the strap, which IMO is a must.) I have no idea who's buying these, but when you figure in resale value the gen is a much smarter buy. Buy used, and let the guy who bought the gen new at the AD take the big depreciation hit and when you get sick of it sell for $1000. When you do that math the rep is not a good buy, however good it is.

• 6 months later...