When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Exp2 GMT hand gets stuck..

dabom

So I recently bought an Exp2 from Andrew, it's the Swiss ETA version with the incorrect hand stack. Occasionally (once every few days) - the GMT hand would get stuck, and the GMT time would no longer sync with the hour hand. If I reset it, it will run fine again.

Anyone encounter this? Is this a problem with the movement design? Thanks!

So I recently bought an Exp2 from Andrew, it's the Swiss ETA version with the incorrect hand stack. Occasionally (once every few days) - the GMT hand would get stuck, and the GMT time would no longer sync with the hour hand. If I reset it, it will run fine again.

Anyone encounter this? Is this a problem with the movement design? Thanks!

First, I would e-mail Andrew about the problem so you're "on record" with him.

GMT movements can be odd this way. Must be the modifications to the movement so it will operate the GMT hand. Usually they behave after a period of time. One of mine had odd quirks like this for 4 or 5 months. Then I picked it up again and it worked fine.

Not sure if this has been of any comfort to you. :D Before you ship it back to China, I would work with it. Try moving the hands through several days of revolutions, then backwards. Slowly, of course.Quite often you can get it working fine this way.

Good luck.

I would second Doc's comments & recommendations to the letter. GMT movements tend to be finicky buggers in general. You can reduce, but probably not eliminate, the chance of issues occurring by using the GMT function as little as possible (if at all -- beyond the initial test to make sure the watch works upon receipt).

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to report that it's been a week without any problems so far!

I followed your suggestion to set the time forward through 31 days for this watch which I had given to my brother, and that seems to have settled the GMT hand in. When setting the time forward, the GMT hand did lag a few times such that it was a few minute markers behind where it was supposed to be. So far though through normal wearing the GMT hand has not lagged.