When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BKMariner or Euromariner?

pfran42

If the new Euromariner (from Eurotimez) could be sourced with a gen ETA movement (which has been eluded to), would it be truer to gen than the BKMariner? ..and just to make it a little more interesting, lets take the CGs out of the discussion as I could easily get those shaved. I want the most accurate "out of the box" Sub (between these two). I am not going to get into the heavy-duty mods like sourcing a gen dial, bezel insert, crown, etc. I just want to know how far a $500 budget will go in procuring a great looking, long lasting, Sub rep.

I have searched all of the forums and spent a good 20 hours reading on these two watches. Can one of you gurus out there give us a comparison of the two? Maybe Pros and Cons? Comparison shots? Features matrix?

I have narrowed my Sub needs to these two (already have an SSD V2). My first rep purchased was the Trusty $218 Sub with a ETA 2824-2 movement. It is nice looking and feels well made but I should have just listened to the vets on this site and gone all out for one of the "premium" models. I like the bracelet and case but the pearl, hands, bezel insert and dial leave a little to be desired.

I know this subject has been beat to the ground BUT the Euromariner IS new so I think it would be in the best interest of the community to objectively reevaluate the pecking order of these timepieces.

Once this decision has been made, I can de-noob myself and start looking into the Omega's, B&R's, and IWC's!!!....So please help a (contributing) brotha out!

A euromariner is just a combo of the BKW and noob. Just using the most gen looking parts for both. I would go with the euromariner. It is a great value and many seem happy with it.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=76506 Here is a link to tribal's review

Edited by blue_sphere

"You're my boy, Blue!!"

..Thanks but I already have read that review and I know what it is made of and how much it costs. I was trying to get people to sound off on whether BK's watch is closer to gen than the Euromariner and to compare strengths and weaknesses in head to head fashion. I wonder what model BK starts out with in order to produce the BKMariner?

BK uses the noobmariner w/ eta movt for his sub and then mods the cg's, uses the more correct new rep crown and tube, WM pearl and checks for WR. The service he provides is a good value for the price and no further mods are necessary.

But the noobmariner is a two year old watch. The newest Euromariner, the MBW/MBK and the WM9 are all based on a better case- correct rehaut, better bezel assembly- more like the gen, the watch will accept a gen crystal and bezel insert. With the noob dial and datewheel on the Euromariner, this is the best out of the box sub we've seen to date.

Thanks alligoat!

I also read that the Noobmariner case is smaller than gen. I guess the choice (for now) is clear. The Euromariner is probably the best I can do out of the box for under $500. It also seems to have the best bracelet (Noob bracelet).

Now when I go to Eurotimez site, it is difficult to know that I have selected the correct Euromariner as they have a few different models. The descriptions are not very good.

For example:

I go to Eurotimez > Eurotimez Catalog > Euromariner > Euro-Black 2008

All it shows is a picture and a link saying "web-mbk-euromariner-black-2008-040". Clicking on this link only brings up a flash animation with pictures of the watch. There is no description or pricing.

Also, the watch shown has the engraved rehaut. From reading the Euromariner review I thought that Eurotimez was producing a variation of the Euromariner without this unsightly (IMHO) engraving. Plus doesn't that engraving also necessitate the watch to have the Maxi-Dial (in order to stay true to gen)? Where is the description for this watch so that I know I am ordering the ETA vs. ETA clone or Asian movement? I know there are additional models listed in the Dictionary section of this web site, but I still can't find the proper links in order to read the "web-mbk-euromariner-black-2008-040" description and order it.

Once I get this cleared up, I would like to help other noobies on this forum by pointing them in the correct direction for the best "out of the box" rep so that this issue does not have to be re-hashed thereby bugging the crap out of members with post counts in the 1000's.

Can anyone point me to the proper model number for a non Maxi-Dial/non engraved rehaut Euromariner with gen ETA on the Eurotimez web site? ...or, who would I pm if I just wanted to order this directly from the dealer?

I'm not even sure if the Euromariner is available yet! The one w/o the Rolex rehaut printing, noob dial, etc. and DG2813 movt is still in the works- so stay tuned. It's going to run around $275. The MBW 16610 is available for $400 w/ eta, don't know whether it has rehaut printing or not. So you may just have to sit back and wait, or you could get with Chris and get your order in early- be the first one on your block.

BTW, noob case is larger than gen, dial is 28+mm, etc.

Maxi dial only goes on the 50th anniv LV Subs.

You probably need to email Chris (Eurotimez) to get the answers you need.

Pre Sales!

I'm hoping Chris can get this watch- no rehaut engraving, with lugholes, 'cause I'm dying for a vintage case to build a 16800- the one with the matt dial, open 6's and 9's on the date wheel, 93150 bracelet, 593 end pieces- shite, I'm so frustrated, I even when out and bought a gen. I've had all the other parts for over a year- you just can't find the case!

I've already got a noob- kinda like the bkmariner- with a gen crown, the second better pearl- lost the first WM pearl, and it's WR to 4 atm- great $200 watch- here it is next to my gen 16800 matt dial on the left- but I'm still bound and determined to build the 16800 rep.

post-175-1214954139_thumb.jpg

pfran,

When looking at the site. The 2008 has the engravings and the 2007 does not (I believe, best to ask chris to double check). As for the non maxi-dial... im not sure what exactly that is?

As for movement, euro will certianly give you gen ETA movement (although asians are getting close still better to go gen). When you mail him (the order/contact form). Be sure to shoot him some questions, he will answer them quickly.

Also do not make the mistake I did. His e-mail is often seen as "junk" by email filters so make sure you check before sending him another message!

-Blue

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at some details and wanted to ask for the following:

Does the euromarine has the Rolex crown laser etched on the crystal?

Is the crystal a sapphire crystal like the gens?

Are the weight and dimensions matching the gen?

I am looking forward to this model without the rolex engravings and will definitely go for it!

Looking forward to some answers here.

Hi Snoxx,

Click here...

1. Yes, laser etched crown, but smaller than in comparsion to other rep models, so it is less visible like gen.

2. Yes genuine saphire crystal.

3. Weight (not sure ?!, maybe slight difference since Gen is made of denser steel) dimension = yes, gen parts will fit... look again at the reviews and what has been done on the Euromariner.

4. withouth rolex engravings isn't out yet... please wait.

Hi Snoxx,

Click here...

1. Yes, laser etched crown, but smaller than in comparsion to other rep models, so it is less visible like gen.

2. Yes genuine saphire crystal.

3. Weight (not sure ?!, maybe slight difference since Gen is made of denser steel) dimension = yes, gen parts will fit... look again at the reviews and what has been done on the Euromariner.

4. withouth rolex engravings isn't out yet... please wait.

Just let me know when you have it without engravings! Definitely will wait for this beauty!

Thanks again!!!