When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO w/2824-2 stops. Rotor sticking?

craptacular

Just got a beautiful UPO w/2824-2 movement a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday it stopped on me. A quick shake got it moving again, but when I gave it the old wrist-swirl to wind it properly it sounded like the rotor was stopping.

The rotor has always been a little noisy (I assumed it was scraping very lightly against a side or something), so I opened up the case back to check things out. Tilting or shaking would not make the rotor move. I got it to move again with a little finger press, then pushed it manually to check the rotation a few times.

It looks like the rotor sticks a little after a few rotations. Is it debris in the bearings, or is it need of lubrication? Could some oil on the bearings clear this up, or am I going to have to send it back?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check to make sure that the screw securing the rotor is properly tightened, if not and the rotor is loose it could be coming into contact with the movement holder. Also if its loose the gear wheel on the underside of the rotor might not be meshing properly with the autowind gears on the bridge underneath.

Check to make sure that the screw securing the rotor is properly tightened, if not and the rotor is loose it could be coming into contact with the movement holder. Also if its loose the gear wheel on the underside of the rotor might not be meshing properly with the autowind gears on the bridge underneath.

I did notice that when I apply pressure to the rotor it wiggles from front-to-back a bit. It hardly takes any pressure at all to get metal to touch metal, and I suspected that was the source of the noise until I read a thread about somebody having similar problems due to rotor bearings.

I'll see how it reacts to tightening the rotor screw. Thanks for the reply!

I would remove the rotor and re-seat it. Don't over tighten it as they can break off causing real problems. As mentioned before, check the movement retainers are properly in place, as they can sometimes interfere with the rotor.

I would remove the rotor and re-seat it. Don't over tighten it as they can break off causing real problems. As mentioned before, check the movement retainers are properly in place, as they can sometimes interfere with the rotor.

I removed the rotor and checked things out, but nothing seemed amiss other than a tarnished fingerprint-looking spot underneath. I lubed the bearings, reseated the rotor and made sure it was screwed back on securely.

Unfortunately, the rotor kept sticking (at just over every 2 rotations)... but I did notice that when the tension kicked in there was the tiniest little clicking noise. It was coming from the silver gear nearest to the crown/stem. It would seem to "hop" just a little bit every time the rotor would get stuck.

I guess I should add that this all started soon after the first time I had to change the date (other than the first time I set the watch). Upon remembering that, I re-set the date by running through until the current day came back around. The tiny "click" seemed to stop after that, and the rotor hasn't stuck again.

Unfortunately, the watch doesn't seem to hold a power reserve now. I gave it a good 20 seconds of shaking at the end of the day, but it had stopped again by the following morning. I've had to set it aside due to travel over the weekend, but I'll be back on the case on Monday.

Any further insight or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!