When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

besides AR is there anything else?

rolexconfuse

I would like to add that the 1st time I handled the gen GMTIIC (in an AD), I did not notice the AR on the cyclops (nor did the sales woman mention it). Later that evening, I saw the 1st good, close-up pic of the GMTIIC posted on TZ. Here is that picture

Of course, it was nearly impossible for me, an admitted WIS, not to see the way the cyclops reflected light differently than the rest of the dial, but I went away thinking, 'What a cool photographic effect. I have to figure out how he did that.' And I spent a couple days experimenting, trying to get the same 'effect' on 1 of my watches, but to no avail. Then, some time later, there was a thread on TZ where a couple of the long-time members were asking the owner of the GMTIIC how he did that effect? (Apparently, I was not the only 1.) After the owner explained that the cyclops was AR'd, I made my 2nd reconnaissance trip back to the AD to try on the GMTIIC again. That time I noticed it & it is 1 of those things that once you know about it, you see it all the time. Like suddenly becoming aware of a particular car that you have probably seen hundreds of times before without noticing, but once it gets associated with something special, you start seeing it everywhere. And that is the way the GMTIIC & its AR'd cyclops affected me.

The point is that even a WIS like me did not notice the AR'd cyclops until I had seen it up-close with that picture. And, even then, I attributed it to a photo effect. So I just do not see how the average gen owner or man on the street could possibly ID my rep as anything other than a gen Rolex watch when 'out in the wild'. At least, not based on the appearance of the cyclops.

freddy- I have to agree and think you make a very reasonable assesment. Not to go to far off topic, but it has to do with us "watch freaks" trying to spot a Rep vs Gen in public. I was having lunch the other day and the gentlleman one table away (about six feet) from me was wearing an AP Roo. Being that I had only seen Gens at the AD, I took note. If it was a Rep I figured I could tell reall easy by just looking to see if the seconds were running at 9 or 12.

Try as I may, I strained every which way to spy the dial of the watch. On the wrist, moving about, it was impossible to tell if the seconds sub dial was running at 9 or 12. Short of asking him to hold his wrist up and let me admire his watch, it wasn't going to happen.

And someone thinks they can spot the refraction of light of the watch cyclops when someone is wearing it?

I don't think so....

guys let me know if you found a place where you can get some 2.5x crystals. I rather just have the whole thing AR'ed and then just find some watch maker to replace the crystal for me.

You CANNOT ar the crystal with the mag intact .... youwould have to remove the mag should you want to ar the crystal..the heat would melt the UV glue holding the mag in place for one... among other factors..

And I am really doing the coating on the mag ont so "no one will suspect" that this is not a genuine.. but more because this is such a "prize" of a replication to the genuine ... as shief say's when I look at it and there is the flaw of the mag.. I get distracted

The last ditch" alternative would be to buy a asian movement

rolex rep that has the correct mag.. and cannabalize that ... and that would actually work in your favour... the GMTIIc mag is a little to high and not tapered at the edges like the genuine .. but the other mags on the reps are identical to the GMTIIc

So the options are there ... weather they are to your liking is questionable... bottom line .... somethings have to be done in proper order without the shortcuts ...no way around this one.. remove mag - chieftang - replace mag .....