When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMTIIc Mag ...

lanikai

Edit :.... the genuine mag is available for orders.. @2.50 per mag (no joke) .... not including shipping and

(price depending on your attitude -_- ) triple for EU members cause we need gas money...(not)... yes... :p

See seperate sign up sheet... :D

OK.. here's the deal..

I checked with a vendor on Ebay.. I have purchased after market inserts from him before as I imagine many here have..

They have a aftermarket Rolex Crystal with advertised 2.5 x mag..

first I inquired if it was garaunteed to be 2.5 x.. answer was ..yes

I inquired if he is capable of selling the mags seperately .. answer... NO

I am awaiting a reply for a group purchase.. and the quantity involved.. I doubt he would agree to this.. but the Q was put out there..

The mags would still have to be removed from the crystal .. he claims yes it can be removed as the genuine..

Price is 24.90 usd with 7.00 shipping (CONUS) .. i would imagine more for outside the US.. and in the past he has said that the 7.00 is for "every item" regarless if they are bought and shipped together.. never disputed this for obvious reasons..

The Advantage of having a spare to send to Chief for the next AR run is several:

1. you still wear your timepiece until you are ready to do the deed with the AR'd mag

2. if you screw up..(not that you will) no harm no foul.. You are out some $$ .. but still have your original crystal

3. this mag should be more like the genuine as the rep mag is a little too thick on the edges

4. Take as long as you want to either do what you already know how to do .. or "learn" how to .. we can pin a tutorial..

I plan to "practice" on another crystal that I removed the mag from before attempting the actual GMTIIc

we have lot's of time before chiefs next coating run.. so if we plan well ahead .. this should be like learning something new.. but as a group it may be easier than attempting it alone..

What say YOU ????

Other thoughts are for individuals to assist the members by removing the mags and sending them just that piece ... if we work together we can accomplish alot B)

031rolexmagcl1.jpg

So to verify before we all jump in the water.. I will be willing to order one and say .. yay or nay .. to the actual mag of 2.5..

Interesting, lani. A couple things I will throw out there:

1. Not all rep Rolex magnifiers are the same. Measure the diameter from flat side to flat side. The old "Noobmariner" subs, for example, had magnifiers that were too wide compared to gen in this dimension.

2. A mass produced sapphire magnifier of these dimensions should cost no more than $10 USD. Small custom jobs would be much higher, and you'd probably be looking at $25 minimum anyhow. So that would mean 0 savings over this crystal magnifier combo. But I could swear that loose magnifiers used to be available on Ebay and elsewhere. What about Ofrei? They used to sell generic Rolex crystal parts?

Interesting, lani. A couple things I will throw out there:

1. Not all rep Rolex magnifiers are the same. Measure the diameter from flat side to flat side. The old "Noobmariner" subs, for example, had magnifiers that were too wide compared to gen in this dimension.

2. A mass produced sapphire magnifier of these dimensions should cost no more than $10 USD. Small custom jobs would be much higher, and you'd probably be looking at $25 minimum anyhow. So that would mean 0 savings over this crystal magnifier combo. But I could swear that loose magnifiers used to be available on Ebay and elsewhere. What about Ofrei? They used to sell generic Rolex crystal parts?

I saw mags last year on the bay and they were the genuine all right .. I'll call Sharon at Ofrei now.. see if she can hook us up..

Thanks CT

I need exact measurements...

if someone has calipers..

I'm getting ready to put in an order for genuine mags..

but they come in 3 sizes... 4 actually and (cost for me) 2.50 usd... 4.00 for the xtra large but I don't think that one apply's.. quickly please.. Terry if you are reading this need an assist with the exact mm size legnth x width

I need exact measurements...

if someone has calipers..

I'm getting ready to put in an order for genuine mags..

but they come in 3 sizes... 4 actually and (cost for me) 2.50 usd... 4.00 for the xtra large but I don't think that one apply's.. quickly please.. Terry if you are reading this need an assist with the exact mm size legnth x width

I can provide measurements with calipers later tonight. My sub has a perfect magnifier.

I had the same idea & found that same listing over the weekend, but I cannot find it now. The seller described the crystal as fitting several current Rolex models, but I decided not to order it because there was something I did not like about the seller, but I cannot remember what it was? Is the seller by any chance located in Texas?

BTW, it would be best to specify a central thickness and edge thickness before ordering. This way you'll be able to basically specify the 2.5X mag through dimension. I am not going to remove my cyclops to take these measurements, but will try to provide fairly close visual estimates with the calipers.

Ok..

Rolex has 4 sizes and the GMTIIc fits only one size according to my crude measurements.. but it is the closest to the large..

which is 6.5 x5.5 ... again this is the genuine rolex cyclops.. edit add: correction 6.9 x 5.5

the others are

small... 4.4 x3.5.. ladies

med. ...5.5 x 4.5

and XL .. which would not even come close at ...8.0 x 5.8

the only dimension that comes close is the large ... I'm going to check to see haow many are in stock .. and if just a hand ful I'm grabbing them..

again no need for removal these are the genuine mags alone..@ 2.50 usd .. less than a cup of coffee..so if I loose some $$ .. it's all good..

Edit to ADD... Yes.. definately a 6.5 x 5.5 .. no other cyclops comes close to this measurement..thanks Chief.. again.. Uda Man !! edit add: correction 6.9 x 5.5 noty 6.5

Correction on the genuine... the rep matches it though.. the large is 6.9 x 5.5 ... the rep should be this too... kinda hard without calipers .. which I am frustrated enough without to order it today also.. !!

So we are good .. yes freddy the dimension on the rep is off .10 on the width and .06 on the legnth... so we will be getting the genuine mag which is PERFECT!!!

Correction on the genuine... the rep matches it though.. the large is 6.9 x 5.5 ... the rep should be this too... kinda hard without calipers .. which I am frustrated enough without to order it today also.. !!

So we are good .. yes freddy the dimension on the rep is off .10 on the width and .06 on the legnth... so we will be getting the genuine mag which is PERFECT!!!

Sounds good. And I used digital calipers to measure my cyclops.