When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP Bond--Dealer Differences?

whitestripes

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a SMP Bond. I would love the PO more but there is no good 42mm version that I'd be happy with, so I plan on getting the Bond SMP. So I looked at pam111, trusty, josh, and silix-prime, and silix's prices are the best. Is there a difference in the ETA SMPs? They range from $200 (silix) to ~250 (josh/andrew) + $30 shipping. Is there a history of fake ETAs in these models?

Before I put down the cash, is there really no 42mm PO on the drawing board?

Hey whitestripes, yes it is now common to find ETA clones in these SMP reps. I believe that Silix's SMP contains the clone movement, its really uncommon now to find a rep that costs $200 with a real ETA movement. Another thing which gives it away about the Silix version is the datefont, it's not a true ETA datefont.

However his version is apparantly very good, and so far, there haven't been any real complaints about the clone movement. Of course the true test for these movements would be to see how they are performing 3-4 years down the line, or when it's time for a service :)

Hey whitestipes... hello DemonSlayer...

I've got my hands on 2 SMP Bonds in the last couple of weeks. One from Silix and a cheaper sub-$100 rep.

Both are worth what I paid for them. However the better quality Silix rep left me feeling slightly annoyed.

The Silix watch corrects some of the faults of the "bargain" watch but replaces them with ONE that slaps me in the face every time I look at it. Sure it still has a misaligned bezel insert and the date font is wring (although I'm too inexperienced to notice), but the glaring tell, to me, is the size and shape of the crown. It is the wrong shape and the watch case isn't recessed enough to accept it.

I just CANNOT understand how they can get it to look authentic in so many ways but then get it wrong in where a half-price rep gets it right.

My quest for a better SMP Bond continues, but I suspect the "golden age" for this rep is gone.

Good luck.

After researching quite a bit, I have to agree the best rep of the SMP was the "closed factory" which of course is no longer available...unless you find from another member. I think I was lucky enough to get really close to the closed factory with mine and wear it almost daily. My co-worker got the 21J cheaper version and he absolutley loves it.

To my noob eyes, the two most noticeable flaws in the "cheaper" Bonds, are those which could be easily fixed by the makers.

1. The hands. Hour and minute hands too short, second hand out of proportion.

2. Bezel insert. Pearl size/location and wrong font on numbers.

Of course there are issues with the etching on the clasp, He valve etc, but I can live with those. It's the inexpensive little "fixes" that are frustrating. Pity.

I still have a closed factory case from the famous first gen 007. Those are as rare as the real 007.

It has the correct he valve kinda between 10/11 oclock, correct crown guards and serial number on the rear lugs.

If anyone wants, I would trade the case for a GMT watch or something simlar.. already have a few SMP of different versions.

The biggest give away on the current case is the he valve position and the crown guards.

Or we can wait to see if the factories will undertake a replication of the new black SMP, as opposed to just putting in black dials to their current watches. If they do, and their case designs are better, then they'll probably have a new blue SMP as well since the difference would just be the dial. And if not you could just buy a blue dial and just place it.

Hey whitestipes... hello DemonSlayer...

I've got my hands on 2 SMP Bonds in the last couple of weeks. One from Silix and a cheaper sub-$100 rep.

Both are worth what I paid for them. However the better quality Silix rep left me feeling slightly annoyed.

The Silix watch corrects some of the faults of the "bargain" watch but replaces them with ONE that slaps me in the face every time I look at it. Sure it still has a misaligned bezel insert and the date font is wring (although I'm too inexperienced to notice), but the glaring tell, to me, is the size and shape of the crown. It is the wrong shape and the watch case isn't recessed enough to accept it.

I just CANNOT understand how they can get it to look authentic in so many ways but then get it wrong in where a half-price rep gets it right.

My quest for a better SMP Bond continues, but I suspect the "golden age" for this rep is gone.

Good luck.

I feel your pain, my brother whitestripes. I had a SMP from silix, then I tried trusty (twice), but they all suck in the same ways. The first silix even had a couple of wonky hour markers. I couldn't wear it for the crown jabbing my hand (yes, I do wear it low, and not so tight).

I gave up on the whole idea of finding one I could live with. Still jonesing for one two years later, in March I set out on a quest for the now out-of-production original gen. After scoring one from a dealer who still had one for $1,500 in the boxes, I was (and am still) over the moon with it. So what if I could have had five or six reps for that much? There's nothing niggling me about it (coz it ain't a rep) - everything is as it should be, and my itch has truly been scratched. I even sleep better these days!

post-6467-1216526858_thumb.jpg

post-6467-1216526886_thumb.jpg