When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My PAM001B Story

jitai

Just to share my PAM001B story.

PAM001B was the first panerai model that caught my eyes.

I like the simplicity of the dial and also the running second hand sub dial at 9 o'clock.

I was lucky to find an "old school" PAM001B rep during my trip to ShenZhen 2 years ago.

I handled a few marina and base models reps before. I really think that the "old school" case are the best made version.

2674518806_bd79283d9d_o.jpg

2674518854_93d950dc15_o.jpg

I was a newbie then and thought that what I've gotten was good enough. However, after gaining much knowlegdes from our respective long time members here and from other forums, the fun started when I decided to go ahead to "perfect" my PAM001B.

PAM001B came in both "T Swiss T" or "L Swiss L" sausage dials. This is one of the model that went through a transitional period when panerai switched Tritium lume to superluminova. And this happened in B series production.

As my PAM001B comes with "L Swiss L" at 6 o'clock, I thought I'll just contact The Zigmeister and send it to him for relume work with superluminova.

But after looking at countless gen pics. I still prefer the look of the aged tritium lume dial.

This is what I always wanted

2674519114_6a94608aef_o.jpg

Beside the aged lume, another common flaw that we all know is the incorrect letter "A" in which the horizontal bar is printed too low making it an obvious tell.

So, I started hunting for better dial and this led me to Davidsen. Unfortunately, all his first version dials were sold out at the time when I contacted him. I tried hard to find the dial I want but to no avail.

I didn't give up my plan. For 2 years, I patiently waited for someone who are willing to part with some earliest version dial from Davidsen.

At last, I found one but it has "T-Swiss-T" at 6 o'clock. Although it was incorrect, I bought it over as it was the closest I can find.

Next will be the crown. Being late to this forum, palp's crowns were wiped out fast before I can contact him. So, I went to get lello's crown (which is not too bad IMO).I was lucky enough to purchase a crown from him before he stop selling them.

I also have a Davidsen's Pre-V buckle (Yeah I know it's not for this model) because I like it alot. I waited 6 months for this buckle as it was out of stock.

2674518972_7520606ab6_o.jpg

1 : Davidsen's earliest version (which is the best IMO) with better letter "A" font

2 : Incorrect "T-Swiss-T"

3 : Lello's thick crown (thickness was about 1.91mm but looks thick because the bevel edge is very thin)

2673699367_7c4fb78723.jpg

Davidsen's pre-v buckle. Looks nice and cool

So, It looks like I have all the ingredients ready.

I also contacted The Zigmeister and it will be scheduled to go for The Zigmeister's spa early August for the following works;

- Convert "T-Swiss-T" to "T Swiss T"

- Install lello's crown

- Flaten the lever pin on CG

- Relume davidsen's dial with aged tritium lume

- Relume and touch up the hands

- Touch up the crystal (removing some marks at the edge)

I've waited for a long time for this day to come. Can't wait to receive a brand new PAM001B from The Zigmeister. I am very happy with his service. He never fail to reply my mails. Thanks Rob. ;)

Thank you for reading my thread. I will post a pic when I have it back probably a month later.

Cheers

:)

*** Latest update - I finally found a SS palp's crown. So this one will be installed and I'll use lello's crown for other project. Oh Boy, I am lucky :D

Thanks to Fishgodeep, porsche356a, babola, legendofspeed, Kruzer for the advices given

Edited by jitai

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

The Zigmeister did a great job for Duddly's PAM001A.

My PAM001B had been scheduled to go to The Zigmeister spa this month end.

I hope my PAM001B will be as good as Duddly's when it comes back. :p