When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding CGs on SSD

pfran42

i say keep going, and round it out a bit so its not such a straight edge.

found this for you:

ENJOY

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...5712&hl=mod

lots of pics for reference and a how-to method

I don't mean any disrespect, and I'm certainly not a great modder like some around here, but I'm not quite sure what "round it out a bit so its not so straight edge" means. I think you want it as straight as possible with as sharp of inside of corners as possible (where the CG meets the case). I think this is the area where a lot of people have trouble. I was able to get that corner pretty sharp. Mine are by no means perfect, but I compared to gen and they are pretty close.

I followed gio's tutorial. It's a great tutoral. It took me several days to get them where I was satisfied. Just take your time.

Mine for reference:

ssd_2_crop.jpg

ssd_7.jpg

ssd_6.jpg

ssd_4.jpg

BTW - I would replace that perl next :D

I don't mean any disrespect, and I'm certainly not a great modder like some around here, but I'm not quite sure what "round it out a bit so its not so straight edge" means. I think you want it as straight as possible with as sharp of inside of corners as possible (where the CG meets the case). I think this is the area where a lot of people have trouble. I was able to get that corner pretty sharp. Mine are by no means perfect, but I compared to gen and they are pretty close.

I followed gio's tutorial. It's a great tutoral. It took me several days to get them where I was satisfied. Just take your time.

BTW - I would replace that perl next :D

WOW!!! That looks amazing. I still have a little ways to go...Can you direct me to Gio's tutorial? I have been using the other one mentioned on this thread already and it does not show such sharp edges.

As for the pearl, I lost it tonight but it turned up and I glued it in place already. It is aftermarket and looks a million times better than what came on it. Thanks for the feedback!

WOW!!! That looks amazing. I still have a little ways to go...Can you direct me to Gio's tutorial? I have been using the other one mentioned on this thread already and it does not show such sharp edges.

As for the pearl, I lost it tonight but it turned up and I glued it in place already. It is aftermarket and looks a million times better than what came on it. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks.

I should probably tell you though, that I did do something in addition to what I read in Gio's tutorial.

Once I was happy with the amount of material removed, I noticed that the part I sanded was flat and didn't follow the radius of the inner part of the CG. So I took a strip of 220 wet/dry sand paper (the black stuff) and, with the crown in place, I ran it between the crown an CG (with the abrasive part toward the CG, obviously :rolleyes: ). This not only rounded the flat spot to match the inner CG, but it also ensured that the gap was even on either side of the crown between the crown and CG.

Two things to be careful of though...Be sure NOT to push the sandpaper down toward the watch case or you will cut a groove in the corner...And, be sure to remove the crown and clean/grease the gaskets when finished.

Good luck,

Mike

this is what i meant by rounded VS straight edge. maybe yours are like this in person, just cant see it on the photo.

CGs are a matter of personal opinion for most i think, so if youre happy thats all that matters.

the gen shows like theyre rounded around the crown, and it appears the same in the tutorial. not like a pointy straight edge.

post-10838-1216338784_thumb.jpg

this is what i meant by rounded VS straight edge. maybe yours are like this in person, just cant see it on the photo.

CGs are a matter of personal opinion for most i think, so if youre happy thats all that matters.

the gen shows like theyre rounded around the crown, and it appears the same in the tutorial. not like a pointy straight edge.

Nice illustration..I totally see what you mean...hmmm...I am going to AD tomorrow to clear my head and get a 3D look at them on the gen. Pics tell only 80% of the story.

I guess it depends what gen pix you look at. The gens in my local AD look like this gen pic:

sd1.jpg

That is what I modeled mine after. Rolex has a way of slightly changing things, like CG shape all the time. You're right, it's up to the individual to decide what they like best. I just went with what I saw in person.