When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Double AR on PAM Crystals

vlydog

I was so impressed with the double AR on my IWC GST, from chief's latest coater, that I had to put a PAM crystal to the test. It seems that double AR has a different appearance on ever watch I own.

I not sure if I'm in love with it on the PAM.

replicawatches014.jpg

What are your opinions?

sssurfer has done a few of his, and really likes it. It depends on your end goal.... if your goal is to duplicate the gen as close as possible, then you don't want double AR on the PAMs. If you want an all around better looking watch (just my opinion) and are less concerned about duplicating the gen, then go for double AR.

You could also strip the outer coating and be left with single AR on the interior surface, which I think is accurate for Luminors.

Just echoing what Chief said. I got double AR on my 112 and enjoyed it for a couple of months. Then after seeing my rep next to a gen 112, my 112 looked really odd. So I removed the outer coating on my 112 and couldn't be happier with the results. It's stunning. I also removed the outer coating of Chiefs double AR on my 210 with the same results...stunning. I recommend it. Just a dremel and green jeweler's rouge...and 20 minutes later...gone! But it's best to uncase the movement as the case & crystal get pretty hot and you don't want to damage the movement.

sssurfer has done a few of his, and really likes it.

Absolutely.

Looking at how nice a double AR coated watch looks, I could not care less about accuracy.

But I also have a new suggestion for you out there who like a bit of reflections from your PAM...

... even if it may sound like a heresy...

double AR on mineral glass!!!

I gave it a try (it was not the crystal you sent me, B ) and the result was very pleasant, IMHO. As AR coat on glass is not so effective as on sapphire, slight reflections are left, but not so obtrusive than those from single AR on sapphire. Sort of midway between double and single AR on sapphire.

And the scratch resistance of double AR coated glass becomes the same as double AR coated sapphire. :D

What about the 088 does it has AR at all?

The gen has single side AR -- as all gen PAMs after B series, and with exception for plexi models.