When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scratch on black PAM dial

You can make the scratches less evident with the Stainless Steel Blackener from Caswell Inc. I tried it, it worked. Not good to make large areas black, but good for tiny areas like scratches.

BTW, in order to work it needs that the scratch is deep enough to go after the PVD coat to the very SS. In other words, the scratch should look bright (SS color) before the treatment.

It's such a pain as I had just modded this and installed V's new crownguard and it wasn't until I was basking in the glory that I noticed the scratch.

This was there when I bought the watch but when I was cleaning some lint from the dial with Rodico I must have removed some of the cover up.

Not sure I can find that product in Australia but will take a look....Thanks for your suggestion.

Not sure I can find that product in Australia but will take a look....Thanks for your suggestion.

No problem. :)

AFAIK, you can buy that product only directly from Caswell. You can buy it online, here is the link:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm#stainless

Look near the bottom of the page, "Stainless Steel Blackener 370".

B-

I do think that is the best solution. Alternatively I end up "painting" in and then clear coating the entire dial in order to make the surface consistent. That is what Ziggy ended up doing on the Marine Militare in the Panerai forum as I had managed to chip the paint. It also depends how noticeable and the location of the scratch.

B,

I have a Caswell plating kit, here in Oz.

Unfortunately i don't have the black fluid.

However.....when I bought this kit... a couple or 3 of years back.... Caswell had a rep here in Oz.

One of the family....from memory in Gippsland in Vic. At the time, there was talk of a full range of product being available here. Maybe contact Caswell, and see where the land lies.

You are welcome to borrow my kit.

Offshore

WARNING! WARNING!

I think my Alzheimer is striking harder than I believed.

The first time I read this thread I believed to read "scratch on PVD" in its title.

What I said only applies to scratches on PVD coated SS cases.

My apologies.

You can spray it with a clear mat or gloss varnish if the scratch is not into the metal. If your first coat is not nice and even, you can shoot a couple or three coats, then go back and lightly sand out any lumps with very fine paper and remove any imperfections you may have if you dont get a good even coat. I have done this before and it's worth a try, if you mess it up, you can always get another dial.

Yea the scratch is into the metal and it is shiny.

And the dial is superlumed so I need to be very careful with this as it isn't a standard throw away dial.

LOL @ssurfer, Thanks anyway.

If it is a sandwich dial (H-series crown = Pre-V or H-series sandwich dial or 000/005, right?) just get yourself another cheap sandwich dial and replace the front plate as the lume is on the back plate of the sandwich.

Be careful man. It sounds very easy to take a dab of paint and fill a scratch, but NOOOOOOOOO! It ends up looking like a huge blob of paint on a nice even dial surface. It is much easier to [censored] it up worse than it is to make it look kinda better. It is incredibly hard to paint a tiny scratch without it looking like [censored]. Ask me how I know. :(

Sometimes it's better to live with it as is.