When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datewheel issue on New Asia 7750

The only fix is to take the watch apart, the hands and dial have to come off, and a washer added over the day wheel to hold it in place. Common problem simply due to the fact the day wheel, is sitting free on the movement, only the dial holds it in place. If there is any space at all between the dial and the date disk, it falls off as yours did...

RG

• 3 months later...

The Zigmeister:

I find this day wheel 'popping out' problem very common. Almost all of my day/date a7750 watches experienced this problem sooner or later. Moving back the wheel to original position should be an easy fix. However, is there a 'real' fix for this problem.? You recommended using the washer between the dial and the day wheel. I assume that washer = spacer? Am I right? What kind of washer would you recommend in this case? Should the washer be fixed to dial (like glued)? Is this problem common with ETA 7750 also?

It just needs a washer, to be put in between the dial and the day wheel as The Zigmeister has said.

It doesn't need to be glued in or anything, just put it in. The bad aspect is that the dial and hands have to come off to do it. No big deal really but the hands may break upon removal, it has happened to me many times and also The Zigmeister as well. The reps hands are just crap!

Here is a pic of the washer you need, its an old pic but you can see it in the left of the pic

CIMG3007.jpg

It just needs a washer, to be put in between the dial and the day wheel as The Zigmeister has said.

It doesn't need to be glued in or anything, just put it in. The bad aspect is that the dial and hands have to come off to do it. No big deal really but the hands may break upon removal, it has happened to me many times and also The Zigmeister as well. The reps hands are just crap!

Here is a pic of the washer you need, its an old pic but you can see it in the left of the pic

I was aware that hands have to be removed in order to be able to put a washer :)

I'm also aware that hands of some models are real crap and here is the question: I have both bergeon (presto 7) and cheap anchor tool for removing hands but I lost my nerves trying to remove some hands with these tools. What I found out is that it's easier to leave chrono hands on and to remove them by easily pulling the dial up then removing them with these tools. It's also easier using one part of the 'fork' of these tools as a lever for removing these hands. And now one really stupid question: Do you remove all central hands at once or one by one from top to hour hand?

I was not able to fine a good washer for this purpose (most washers were too thick for this purpose). Because of the fact that washer is coming over day wheel (so there is a friction between day wheel, washer and dial) and the fact that it can not be centered I was worried that it could damage day wheel at some point. This is why I was thinking about fixing it to bottom side of dial.

The washer in that picture from ajoe is a ETA part, I haven't seen it listed separetly for the 7750's, but it does come with a new ETA 7750 when you buy one.

Dial washers can also be used, they are normally installed over the hour wheel, but work equally well on the day wheel. The problem is that the day wheel sits loose on the movement, and the back of the dial is the only thing holdin it in place. Any gap between the wheel and the dial, and it pops out of place...

As for your procedure, each hand is removed alone, and you risk breaking the pivots off of the subdial hands by using the dial to push them off.

RG

The washer in that picture from ajoe is a ETA part, I haven't seen it listed separetly for the 7750's, but it does come with a new ETA 7750 when you buy one.

Dial washers can also be used, they are normally installed over the hour wheel, but work equally well on the day wheel. The problem is that the day wheel sits loose on the movement, and the back of the dial is the only thing holdin it in place. Any gap between the wheel and the dial, and it pops out of place...

As for your procedure, each hand is removed alone, and you risk breaking the pivots off of the subdial hands by using the dial to push them off.

I've just looked at eta docs and this washer is part 2753 (indicator distance piece). Have you ever seen an a7750 with this part? I'm not sure why they don't use it. It simple to make and install and it would make problems with days wheel gone.

I'm aware why day wheel is popping out. I spent some time testing this and it seems that it would pop-up easier when using quick date change then when turned by day change wheel.

Regarding hands removal process... Yes this is how I worked so far but I find above tools hard to use in this way. 'Forks' of presto tool are sometimes too thick to be put between hands and I risk damaging the hand below with presto tool. (I'm also using bergeon dialog protector.)

What tools do you use for removing central and subdial hands? Any tips?

Another thing, putting the hands back... I found using pegwood with small amount of rodico at the end the best tool for mounting subdial hands so far. I find it difficult to mount hour hand as I lack the proper tool. I have a cheap anchor hand presser, which is fine for minute and top chrono hand but useless for pressing hour hand. Right now, I'm using plastic tweezers for pressing hour hand which is far from good solution...

If the forks on the presto are too thick, buy a different version and polish them down. I think mine is a #5 one, I can't remember, but it works fine on all hands.

Bergeron makes a less than $20 hand installation tool, get the one with the red and grey tips, it does 99% of all hand sizes.

RG

It's already on my purchase list. The one you are referring to should be 7404-2 (0.80 mm x 1.50 mm). I was looking at 7404-1 (0.50 mm x 1.0 mm) as 7404-2 is not sold separately. I'll ask the seller if he can sell this one separately.

What tools do you use to put the hands back? Rodico + above presser?

Sorry for these lame questions... I find the task of managing the hands too stressful.. :)

To install the hands, I pick them up and position them with my #2 tweezers, then press them in place with the Bergeron tool, works ok for me...

No lame questions, it's the only way to learn, than and practice, practice, practice, watchsmithing doesn't come easy.

RG

Well after I fixed the date change gear I'm also stuggling to get the hands (hour, minute and chrono second) back on. It's the most difficult thing of the whole process. I' ve already made like 6 attempts (hand on-off-on-off etc.) and it's so freaking hard to position them so that they don't touch eachother or the chrono hands.. Sometimes when pressing down the hour hand is just shoots down the post so that it sits flat against the dial <_< . No tool can get beneath it and I have to remove the dial again....

Last night (01:00AM) I was still trying but had to give up as I was falling a sleep behind my desk :lazy: LOL.

Well after I fixed the date change gear I'm also stuggling to get the hands (hour, minute and chrono second) back on. It's the most difficult thing of the whole process. I' ve already made like 6 attempts (hand on-off-on-off etc.) and it's so freaking hard to position them so that they don't touch eachother or the chrono hands.. Sometimes when pressing down the hour hand is just shoots down the post so that it sits flat against the dial <_< . No tool can get beneath it and I have to remove the dial again....

Last night (01:00AM) I was still trying but had to give up as I was falling a sleep behind my desk :lazy: LOL.

You may try my suggestion (pegwood + small amount of rodico) for chrono (subdial) hands. I find the most challenging putting back the hour and minutes hand as I obviously don't have the proper pressing tools. I initially tried using my favorite #2 dumont tweezers for setting these hands (just like The Zigmeister recommended). However, this proved to be too hard for me and requires really good tweezers handling skills. In most cases hands were slipping out of tweezers and I'm almost sure I even managed to damage (scratch) one of the hands during slipping. I'm currently using rodico to grab and position central hands.