When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1 more sapphire question - Updated with Pix

mjmurphy926

1 more then I swear I'll stop. :D

I ordered a sapphire crystal from DSN. I plan on sending it in for single AR.

When it arrived, I noticed it had a pink hue to it. I thought it might be almost unnoticeable when installed, and when AR was applied, it would probably change this characteristic as well. I thought I should probably install it in my standard Andrew case first to make sure it fits. As expected, it fits nicely, but when looking from the side, along the top of the crystal, I still see that pink hue.

Is this a sapphire characteristic? I don't notice that on my SSD.

Do you think the color will change with AR?

Also, the crystal came with a gasket. Would it be a good idea to replace the gasket instead of using the one already installed from the original crystal?

Thanks,

Mike

A pink hue is typical of some good sapphire, sometimes they even call it "pink sapphire" (e.g. ofrei).

But it should be barely noticeable, only when looking at the sapphire from very skewed angle. That is why you can hardly notice it when the crystal is mounted on the watch.

It is also more noticeable on domed crystals like those of PAMs than on flat crystals like the SSD.

Being your DSN crystal domed, and as it was not yet mounted on the watch, you were simply in the best possible condition to notice it.

That hue will stay unmodified by single AR. Unsure about double AR.

Personally, I prefer to leave the old gasket in place when replacing a crystal. The old gasket already got shaped by the old crystal, it makes fitting the new crystal easier.

I think that mjmurphy wants to replace the original AR as chieftang's or k2222's AR are more effective and less colored.

A pink hue is typical of some good sapphire, sometimes they even call it "pink sapphire" (e.g. ofrei).

But it should be barely noticeable, only when looking at the sapphire from very skewed angle. That is why you can hardly notice it when the crystal is mounted on the watch.

It is also more noticeable on domed crystals like those of PAMs than on flat crystals like the SSD.

Being your DSN crystal domed, and as it was not yet mounted on the watch, you were simply in the best possible condition to notice it.

That hue will stay unmodified by single AR. Unsure about double AR.

Personally, I prefer to leave the old gasket in place when replacing a crystal. The old gasket already got shaped by the old crystal, it makes fitting the new crystal easier.

Thanks triple S...I knew I could count on you. :good: That's exactly what my crystal looks like.

I figured I'd leave the old gasket in place since it seems to be installed properly. Hard telling how bad I would screw up installing the new one. :D

MY DSN Crystal in my fiddy has AR already, i thought all of his had AR, is this not the case?

Andy, I don't know if this is new policy as this is the first time i have inquired about his crystals, but you can order the crystals for 44mm cases with or without AR (same price). Not sure about fiddy.

I think that mjmurphy wants to replace the original AR as chieftang's or k2222's AR are more effective and less colored.

Sort of. I ordered it without AR because chieftang's or k2222's AR are more effective and less colored. I didn't want to have to strip off the stock AR before sending it in.

Thanks triple S...I knew I could count on you. :good: That's exactly what my crystal looks like.

You are welcome anytime. :D

Andy, I don't know if this is new policy as this is the first time i have inquired about his crystals, but you can order the crystals for 44mm cases with or without AR (same price). Not sure about fiddy.

Sort of. I ordered it without AR because chieftang's or k2222's AR are more effective and less colored. I didn't want to have to strip off the stock AR before sending it in.

Thanks for making it clear. Good choice.

I just checked DSN's offers and yes, it looks he is offering the fiddy crystal with AR only.

But I suppose that if one wants it without AR, asking DSN would not harm.

I thought I'd try to capture the pinkness in pictures. I was surprised how much the color actually shows. It must be due to the lighting I used, because it doesn't look quite this pink to the eye.

The strap was made by member xlr8tn. I've had it for a few months and love it. It's broken in nicely.

IMG_0869_edit_small.jpg

IMG_0874_edit_small.jpg

IMG_0881_edit_small.jpg

Great watch and beautiful strap, congrats!

Maybe the pink hue is also made more noticeable because the DSN crystal is a little thicker than the original crystal?

This would make the border of the DSN crystal stick out of the bezel a little more than the original crystal. As the pink hue is especially visible on the border, this would make it more easily seen.

Maybe the pink hue is also made more noticeable because the DSN crystal is a little thicker than the original crystal?

This would make the border of the DSN crystal stick out of the bezel a little more than the original crystal. As the pink hue is especially visible on the border, this would make it more easily seen.

Has any1 tried OFREI's 35.5mm pink sapphire crystal on a PAM? its only 2 m thick instead of the 3.5 of the DVN. OFREI's would be a much cheaper source at $45.

-bosk

Has any1 tried OFREI's 35.5mm pink sapphire crystal on a PAM? its only 2 m thick instead of the 3.5 of the DVN. OFREI's would be a much cheaper source at $45.

Uhm, 1.5mm difference is a lot in horology. I am afraid it either would stay below the top of the bezel, or it is very slightly domed (almost flat).

Does ofrei show any pics of that crystal?

I thought I'd try to capture the pinkness in pictures. I was surprised how much the color actually shows. It must be due to the lighting I used, because it doesn't look quite this pink to the eye.

The strap was made by member xlr8tn. I've had it for a few months and love it. It's broken in nicely.

IMG_0869_edit_small.jpg

IMG_0874_edit_small.jpg

IMG_0881_edit_small.jpg

That is a great looking watch you have there, strap crystal the lot :wub:

That is a great looking watch you have there, strap crystal the lot :wub:

Thanks Andy...and I'm just getting started. I have a V CG on the way, and it goes to Zig in November for cannon pin and lume. Oh, and if I can get a hold of Jakub (since I just missed chief's current run), it will get single AR.

One thing this hobby is teaching me is patience. Never really been one of my strong points. :D

Thanks trip. That's kind of what I was thinking.

As M mentioned, the pinkish hue is definitely typical of real sapphire. Once you have seen it, you can spot a sapphire vs mineral crystal almost without error and thickness does play a roll. The color at the edges is generally how it works with single AR also... Since you're still going to get reflections off the top surface, you really only see a slight hue at the edges from the coated underside.

I can probably fit you in this run for a single crystal if you'd like to PM me.