When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modder help needed on 1665 DRSD

mucrewbtp

Hello, I have been doing some searching and I havent been able to find any specific information on a problem I am having. Has any of the modders had any problems with a Clark crystal? I installed a Clark T39 on my mbw 1665, and recently I noticed a crack had developed all around the crystal at the top of the metal rehaut ring that it is fitted over. Has anyone else experienced this problem before, or has anyone had to do anything to prevent this?

Thanks for your help,

-Mike

Sorry to hear about that.

I have not had any problem with Clark's T39s, but cracking is a common problem with plastic lenses. It usually occurs when either the crystal is fitted improperly (pressed on unevenly during the installation process) or the crystal was defective from the factory. It may also, in some cases, occur as a result of an impact to the watch. If the crystal is relatively new, you might contact Clark's about a replacement.

Some more information:

I used a crystal press with an appropriately sized deep aluminum die to press on the retaining ring. It is strange because the crack developed over time, not immediately after installation. I am thinking perhaps it may have been a defect in the crystal that caused the plastic to be too brittle. I have replaced the crystal for now with a much cheaper helfands flat T39 to see if the crack develops again before I install another expensive superdome.

Thanks,

Mike