When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fiddy experts...Rate this fiddy?

dylan

I've bought a lot of fiddys over the years...and i always get rid of them cuz i can't

pull of the 47 mm...but then it draws me back in cuz its a beauty...<sigh> i'll prolly

let this one go too...damn lugs hang over my wrist...but its so pretty...ahhhhhhhh

Rating it? As a rating scale I'll use money.

350-400 USD.

Add 50-100 if superluminova lumed.

Add 50 if you get the crown-case distance fixed.

Does anyone know if this particular mvmt is sold out or out of production?

Its the 'engraved' versus 'pressed' E-series, dagger regulator swan neck mvmt...

What would be a fair price to ask for it?

-superlume hands/dial

-NO recess pin

-sapphire xtal

-AR

• 1 month later...

Dave that's funny. I thought I was the only one. I've already been through around 6 127s and 217s... they have that magnetic power... I can't resist... once they are here... I don't wear them at all and sell. Then I find some nice pics by accident... and I want it again.

I am right now ordering another 127!

It will never stop! :) :)

My 127 is one of my favorite watches. As the years go by I wear fewer and fewer different models but the 127 sticks in there. Always looks great with my Strap Culture strap and feels good on the wrist. Plus, I can read it without squinting.

Usil

Edited by Usil

hello. i have also 1 Fiddy but i never wear it. It looks very very BIG on my wrist. I wear my Pam187 & Pam202 (both 47mm) but due to smaller dial the y look smaller compared to Fiddy !!!

do you all believe that Fiddy is very very BIG even compared to other 47mm watches ?

• 2 years later...

1. Crown needs to change another version that get closer to case

2. CG lever is wrong and needs to mod the crown pusher as round shape, you can cut a little bit of CG to case side that CG will be shorter and than mod lever and crown pusher

3. CG pin needs to flat and polish

3. Canon pinion fix and polish

4. Your Fiddy case back and movt looks pretty good but bridges and gears process plated platinum, brass gears plated gold that will be much close to gen

5. Change dial or rewrite texts on dial that texts color should be heavier and brighter

Above 5 points of mod for your reference

Dave, ignoring some of the suggestions from the post above that border on silliness (sorry), I'd say you've got yourself a pretty good 127. Things have to be put in perspective which many people that recently joined the fora miss - the close to 1:1 EL/River 127/217 reps from '05/'06 are now long gone.

Granted, the dial is unfortunately from the recent batches that come with beige/light brown dial text, and the xtal may benefit from the A/R removal - all in all it's a nice one. It comes with old-school Fiddy case with sharp corners. CG pin is an easy fix for someone like you, so no worries ;-)

Have fun !

Although there are a number of flaws with this watch compared to the gen it is as D says not a bad rep. Some of the flaws have simple fixes other are generic across all rep fiddy's

As a general: The interesting point D, (By the way how are you mate? :) ) raises is the AR, it is something that always confused and bothered me with the 47s. Excepting the issues with shape of the xtal etc which is no different in all the rep xtals, they are all flawed.

But the AR is something I got too hung up on until I learnt that not only did OP produce variations in the 127 crystal but also in the AR. The gen has on the whole a very distinct though subtle bluey purplish hue, it is apparent more so on the edges of the xtal as it falls away to the bezel and in most lights.

The first time I actually saw a gen xtal I honestly thought it was a rep except by its provenince and shape etc and from expert advice I realised I had got myself too worked up in the past over the bluish AR in the reps. Further experiences with gen xtals only served to reinforce this thinking.

Now I am not saying any of them are perfect, indeed the closest one I have seen for AR is Rexs xtal, though this varies due to QC issues from his source. However I have found from removing the outside layer of AR from the better rep xtals that you can get pretty close to the gen AR hue.

I guess the only point I am trying to make is dont get to stuck on the idea that a blueypurply AR hue is wrong for the 127 however the 217 (another learning curve) is another story!!! ;)

Congrats on the watch....just love those 47s :)

As a general: The interesting point D, (By the way how are you mate? :) ) ...

All good here mate, although feeling a bit under the weather at the moment, standard family related stuff ;-)

Good points re gen Fiddy xtal. As you pointed out, the slight blue-ish tint is definitely there even on the gen 127, although visible at some specific and extreme angles amplified by a light source as well. I used to have some gen 127 photos from Paneristi Anthony Tsai that also exhibited this very effect...unable to dig them out my archives at this stage.

The rep Fiddy A/R though is all over the place, some is more blueish some pinkish some hard to notice. The one Dave shows in his original post above, comes with one of those "not-so-good' A/R coats, and IMO should benefit from its removal altogether, but that's just me. I owned a rep Fiddy with similar A/R finish, the blue coating was so 'intrusive' it would emit sort of a greenish-brown hue at thhe edges under a daylight, mostly under direct sun.

As far as the rep 127 xtal distorsion is concerned I also agree with you, I haven't seen yet a rep 127/217 xtal that comes with the distorsion break-point at the correct spot. 99% Sapphire rep 127 xtals have a break-point too close to the rehaut resulting in artificially shortened and narrowed numerals being 'squeezed' towards the centre of the dial. The break-point on the gen is closer to the middle of the dial, not by much but it's definitely in a different place.

Many a rep 127 collector has opted for mineral glass instead of sapphire since the mineral glass doesn't exhibit that much of a distorsion. I stuck with an older rep sapphire xtal myself, with the 'break-point' somewhere in the middle between the rep and gen.

I don't tend to notice the minute diffs on my 127 anymore, less and less rep-related flaws seem to bug me these days anyway :-)

cheers,

D

I hope that things get better soon my old mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

As always you put it so much better than me ;)

I wish I could talk as god as english as what you does ;):D

I agree with this watch certainly and generally but it was just something that struck me as I read your comment that we (as reppers) tend to automatically assume any AR on the 127 should be removed.

I too have some great gen AR hue pics on my external hard drive so if you cant find yours I will get mine out... so to speak :) It would be good to show them as I think there is a misconception in that respect by most of us here.