When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New DSN172 Dial

mikerblade

First off I'm just a noob at modding so there may be some "DOH" moments.

The 172 has been a grail watch of mine but I got into reps too late to find one when they being made.

After an off chance remark in an E-mail to PT he managed to source one with some flaking on the dial, price was right so off we go.

I did some studying & the general opinion was get a DSN one as they were closest so after some e-mails to DSN it turns out he now does a superlumed one.

Guess what arrived today:

CIMG0156.jpg

First impressions was WTF is that dial colour about, it is a lot darker than the picture looks & is more a dark slate grey ( tantalium) colour.

On to 2nd issue:

The dial is made by glueing 2 dials together by the looks of it to give the recess for the second hand. I dont own a sandwich dial Pam but wow is this dial thick.

Other problem's with the dial was it was starting to come apart & one of the mounting pins was broken (transit perhaps as the pin was in the bag)

Mounting it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be although that second hand is a PITA to attach, but that was nothing compared to getting the movement back in the case.

Due to the fact that the dial is so thick after about 90mins trying to get the movement holders in I gave up :wacko:

Frustrated I had a sod-it moment & screwed the back on to check if it would go & to my surprise it fitted & holds the movement in place snugly (told you there would be a few "DOH" moments)

I've taken some pic's of it finally assembled along with some lume shots so you can see if it really is superlumed I'm not sure that it "glows like a torch" but its a lot better than standard lume.

CIMG0157.jpg

5 sec exposure

CIMG0158.jpg

CIMG0164.jpg

With it's brother

CIMG0161.jpg

The pictures above do make the dial look a lot lighter than it really is & to be honest I do like it now its in the case but a black dial would have been less of a shock.

I'm going to send DSN an e-mail to let him know about my issues but I'm guessing this is as far as it will get.

Feel free to comment & hopefully reassure me that movement holders aren't that important :pray:

I'm terrible at writing so apologies for my poor grammar.

Mike

Mikerblade

Nice write up and pictures, agree it does look a bit grey but as there were only 300 made you'll never going to meet a Gen one so just enjoy it. Hope that movement stays in.

As you are in Full Mod mode you may want to OXY it as tantalium is supposed to be alot darker than Titanium.

Wear it well

ST4

Quick update:

Received an e-mail from DSN saying that the dial is actually matt black, I sent him a few pics from the post & asked if he thought that dial was black or grey.

His reply to that was "never mind, send it back for refund"

Had a another e-mail from him after I asked if he had any of his older 172 dials "Well that is what I have, try another dealer"

DSN at his best again I see