When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What was your worst watch-related accident?

doc savage

not really an accident but i took a few teammates golfing one day in las vegas and one of the guys wanted to leave his watch in my truck. i told him to put it in the glove box. it was an oris worth a couple thousand dollars. anyway, we finished or day of golf to find that my truck had been broken into and the watch stolen. to this day, i still feel really bad.

I was helping a buddy get some stuff out of his minivan and I got my wrist/arm slammed in the big sliding door. Yep, my wrist along with a brand spank'n new gen SD. Surprisingly, I was more worried about the SD than my arm/wrist *shrug* what can I say :) Well, the arm was swollen and the SD needed a new bezel. I was very surprised that the x-tal withstood the impact from the metal door w/o a scratch. Still makes me wince everytime I think about it.

I was in the garage with a friend who was admiring my just completed Frankenjust. As i removed it from my wrist to hand it to him, I juggled it as it slipped from my grasp and flew through the air. It ricocheted off my tool box before striking the concrete and bouncing several times before coming to a stop. I cringed as I slowly picked up the watch to assess the damage. The outside managed to survive with a few minor scrapes that could be polished out but the 2892-A2 did not fair as well. Upon examination I soon realized that the damage to the movement was beyond my capabilities to repair. So, off to my watchmaker it went to see if it could be resuscitated. After about a week and a bit of expense the watch is back again. I'll be more careful when removing watches from my wrist from now on!

I was helping a buddy get some stuff out of his minivan and I got my wrist/arm slammed in the big sliding door. Yep, my wrist along with a brand spank'n new gen SD. Surprisingly, I was more worried about the SD than my arm/wrist *shrug* what can I say :) Well, the arm was swollen and the SD needed a new bezel. I was very surprised that the x-tal withstood the impact from the metal door w/o a scratch. Still makes me wince everytime I think about it.

This story just reminded me of an old joke:

A lawyer opened the door of his new BMW, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious BMW:

"Officer, look what they've done to my Beemer!" he whined.

"You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, that you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off!"

"OH MY GOD", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "WHERE'S MY ROLEX?!"

TOP THIS:

I went swimming and put my SMP in my pants pocket, and as I was carrying my clothes back to my friends dorm room I dropped my pants on the floor as the elevator opened.

The SMP fell in the crack between the elevator and floor, falling 4 stories in the elevator shaft.

After finally retrieving it, I found the band was torn off, the crystal missing, and the hands were completely bent.

I wonder if the ETA movement still works?

After opening the long awaited parcel with my new IWC Spitfire Chrono, I dropped the watch face down onto the slate floor in my kitchen. Luckily the crystal and movement were ok, but the bezel surround had been christened with some very minor scratches before I even had a chance to wear it. Doh!

Guest carlsbadrolex
Something can be said for using the right tools...

If you are going to press your crystal - use a good crystal press - or you will end up with this:

after.jpg

I learned the hard way.

If you want to let that go as is, let me know... I could use it for spare parts.

T

Guest carlsbadrolex

Three years ago I decided to take my fathers (well actually mine, but given to me by him) Gen 6263 out for a spin. The wifey had me running errands all day and you would be amazed how many people commented on it in LaJolla.

After most of my errands were done, I had to make one final stop at Home Depot with my then 9 year old son. While running past me in the electrical department he reached out and grabbed my wrist pulling the watch right off. It actually snapped one of the springbars.

The watch flew about 10 feet down the isle and crashed to the concrete floor. Shattered the crystal, scratched the bezel and scratch the bracelet pretty bad.

Total cost to repair at the AD $1150 and ALOT of explaining to dad!

After waiting for 3 months to send my 036 to The Zigmeister, and a month to get it back in perfect condition with numerous modifications, my girlfriend decided to throw the watch to me across the garden. Having been on my wrist for one day, I was unimpressed to find a dented case and broken balance staff sitting on the floor. I