When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daylight subdial hands layout

scotty

This probably sounds really silly.....but....

I've a swiss 7753 196 Daylight at a watchsmith for a movement complete service, and we've a doubt over re-fitting the subdial hands.

2 hands are the same size; one is smaller.

From pics and memory I tend that the 2 same, bigger ones are for subdials at 3 and 9, and the slightly smaller one of for 6.

But he feels the 2 bigger ones are for the crono functions 3 and 6, and the smaller one for seconds at 9.

I know this is daft, but I really can't remember and am not sure from all the pics I've been checking the last days.

He re-builds in a day or so, so can anyone settle things.

I told him - 3 and 9 the same, and 6 the smaller one.

Am I wrong?????

Nope, you've got it right. The 6 o'clock subdial is smaller than the 3 & 9 subdials, so it makes sense that the smallest hand would go there. Not sure why your watchsmith was so convinced otherwise?

Watchsmith said when he went to re-assemble, he went by the diameter of the tube with respect to the hand hole dia.

And without forcing, the layout that fitted had the small hand at 9.

Having corrected him, he's advised that in trying to re-assemble correctly a tube has burst. He's a replacement comming and will re-assemble to the right layout this week.

He also made some observations over the swiss 7753 movement - " looks like a 7753, smells like a 7753. Maybe even tastes like a 7753. All the parts are the right shape and size. BUT he wouldn't swear blind it was a SWISS 7753, as the finish of the parts was nothing like he'd seen before.........."

Have our Chinese friends managed to make a Swinese 7753 - something unheard of in the past.......wouldn't put it past them.....