When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"steamy" question

aroulis

Hello to all,

i enjoyed reading your lovely reviews for some weeks now, ordered some watches from one of your suggested dealers and i'm thrilled with my new watches....collection counts 27 and still adding.

for my 1st post, i'd like to ask something that nobody i know seems able to answer.

when i take most cheap watches to the shower with me, the dial is unreadable after a while from steam on the glass. however, with my gen breitling, there's no steam at all on the glass. why's that???

thanks

aris

I don't think the OP was refering to steam inside the crystal rather than to steam outside the crystal. If the latter, then it may well be a side effect of AR coatings. AR coatings on optics have long been see to display anti-fogging properties and that is probably what accounts for the difference he is refering to.

I don't think the OP was refering to steam inside the crystal rather than to steam outside the crystal. If the latter, then it may well be a side effect of AR coatings. AR coatings on optics have long been see to display anti-fogging properties and that is probably what accounts for the difference he is refering to.

What he said. AR tends to have good anti foging proprties. Why do you think folk have reading glasses AR'd tho there used mostly inside?

Col.

Personally I wouln't let my reps, cheap or expensive, anywhere near water unless tested for waterproofness.

I'm not into rusted paperweights.

actually, i was talking about the outside of the glass getting steamy.

i never take them in the water, just in the bathroom table when i take a shower.

my collection will soon be added here, as i'm proud of it and would love to share with watch nuts like me.

What he said. AR tends to have good anti foging proprties. Why do you think folk have reading glasses AR'd tho there used mostly inside?

Col.

The AR coat on eye-glasses was originally develloped (or so I was told when I worked at an opticians) for use in the movie industry, so the lenses would not reflect the light. Essentially, the same reason watch crystals are AR coated.

However, that does not answer why regular reading glasses are AR coated...

The eye works because of the light which 'enters' it. With eye glasses, as there is reflection on the lenses, that reflected light, is not reaching the eye, so the eye is getting 'less light' to work with. AR coating reduces the amount of light which is reflected back and away from the eye, and increases the amount of light which passes through the lens to reach the eye. As a result, the eye has more light to work with, than it would with an un-coated lens in front of it.

I hope that's of help :)

Vecause it's a rep with poorer tolerances. You don't take reps near water. I don't understand why people feel the need to shower with a watch on.

To be honest, I've rarely had problems with getting my reps wet (and have posted the photos to prove it :lol: ) I tend to keep my watch on all the time, as I'm slightly OCD about knowing what the time is, or, more accurately, being able to know what the time is. If I'm in the bath or shower, I like to keep an eye on the time, especially if I'm getting ready to go out, or plan on watching a movie at a certain time... For me, for this reason, water resistance is a must with my watches. The only reps I've had which were not water resistant, were down to manufacturing issues. One was a very cheap SMP, the other was my first 104 (although the replacement 104 which I was sent, is water resistant) and the other, is my 127. But. This is because the crown is not properly pressed against the back of the crown guard lever. I have held the crown closed with my fingers, and, when I did it, the watch did not flood or fog up. I'm hoping that this issue will be corrected while the movement is being serviced :good:

To be honest, I've rarely had problems with getting my reps wet

Like you, most people DON'T have problems. That said, I would spend the 15 bucks and have my watch tested before submersion in water. If a rep is tested, it is tested. Period. These blanket statements about not putting reps in water are silly nonsense.