When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Seamaster

P4GTR

Was helping my father sort through some of my grandparents things, and I came across this. The rest of the family must've missed it. "Omega" must've fell off of the dial at some point. I noticed it right away and am now the very proud owner. It's funny, because i've really wanted a genuine SMP (222080), low and behold... Thanks Grandpa.

The Seamaster started to beat when I picked it up, and still keeps perfect time. All of the other automatics I found would not work. I will have to get it serviced soon. The Zigmeister? :D

Suggestions for a new strap, whether to fix the dial, history, approx value, and all other comments are welcome.

My how watches have changed; the case is so small.

Blue strap is not staying on the watch, no need to comment on that. :)

DSC02485.jpg

DSC02487.jpg

DSC02488.jpg

DSC02490.jpg

Can't offer anything on the history or value.

I have restored a number of similar models, and I recommend only servicing and not touching the dial other than maybe a light washing with mild soap and water. I am always leery of washing dials except when really needed, one antique JLC I washed...well lets say I washed off most of the markings...ouch...

Mainspring should be replaced during servicing and the case can be polished up and some of the damage buffed out lightly.

Great find, although given the age, and total lack of movement parts, I would not wind it or use it until it was serviced. Something breaks and your out of luck...

RG

Thanks Zig. I'll email you when I'm ready to get moving on this, if you would like the job.

I don't care about washing the dial, but whats the pros/cons of finding the "Omega" emblem thats missing and putting it back on? There are two holes in the dial where the posts from it went.

The tritium on the hands has nice patina. I don't want to replace anything, but a polish of the case and crystal would look nice.

Apparently the Turler marking is a good thing. This is essentially Tiffany's & Co. in Switzerland. From what little I know these are rare dials and thus collectible.

CW, thanks for the link. I'm going to spend some time looking around on it in a few.