When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

187 date depth

watcher

I have an asia 7750 date wheel from my pam50 which has the correct font like on the 196 reps and wondered if I could stick it over the original date wheel on my EL 187 thus bringing it closer to the dial.

I'm not inclined to strip the movement down to look yet but I'm guessing there is ample room to do this in theory!

Any experts out there to confirm or deny?

I'm not sure you could stick it directly over the datewheel, the date is sunked quite deep, but I don't think it's as easy as that.

You could just switch the datewheels and get a closer datefont, but beware if your PAM 50 is an older Asian 7750, as the datewheel isn't interchangable, I remember from The Zigmeister's posts, it will require tinkering with the movement and swapping of some parts first. The new Asian 7750 is basically identical to the Swiss one afaik, but the old one has differences.

Yes it was from an older movement. The date print is direct on to the wheel but I thought I could grind down the teeth in the centre and stick it in top of the 187 wheel in such a way that it did not get fowled by the edges of the recess. I might be tempted to try!

This will not work so do not even try it. The datewheel is sunk below the dial because the asian 7750-7753 transfer gears sit over the datewheel directly under the dial which is why the datewheel is sunk down. You would definitely foul the movt if you attempt to stick something over it

This will not work so do not even try it. The datewheel is sunk below the dial because the asian 7750-7753 transfer gears sit over the datewheel directly under the dial which is why the datewheel is sunk down. You would definitely foul the movt if you attempt to stick something over it

I own the orginal The Zigmeister PAM 196 7750 ETA conversion. Finepics is right on, as usual. If only it was that easy to correct it would have been done by the rep makers. I wish there was a short cut but there isn't. The best you will get is a better movement and the same date gap. Doh!

Cheers!

I took it apart and Finepics is dead on. After much thought I decided I would prefer a visually better watch rather than a chron that may break anyway so I did it and here is the result. A shame it has no AR coating but I can always drop this movement in the next generation that has AR!

Here is the link to TRC as this board would not work for me when I started to post the progress.

TRC down yet again!

Here is a finished pic.

82489-30073.jpg