When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

50's Era Vintage

JoJo35

I've had this a while, and while small for today's standards, I kinda took a liking to it.

The watch is a gen 6560, serial 356XXX, which dates it to late summer/fall 1945. I think somewhere along the past 63 years it was "updated" with a 1030 movement (1950 era cal.), although I haven't been able to confirm exactly what is original equipment cal. in this piece.

Another member was kind enough to send me the following info concerning the origin of this piece:

"The 6560 originally came with a 1030 movement and the serial numbers of that era were recycled from past production...this is why the s/n equals 1945. The correct s/n will be stamped inside the caseback.

The actual production date will be stamped as quarters and years....IV56 = fourth quarter of 1956, II57 - second quarter of 1957 etc.

The 1030 movement was introduced in 1950 and was used into the early 1960s"

This makes sense, since after receiving the PM I checked the caseback, and found the correct date of manufacture to be II58. In fact, the actual ref. is 6569. As you may imagine, when I looked at the lug serial earlier today it was hardly discernible because of wear; even when using a 10x loupe. I never considered a different date on the caseback, and didn't look for it earlier.

IMO the watch is unique, with the machined bezel and black dial looking terrific together. I fitted it with a genuine black Teju Lizard strap, and a gen 16mm buckle.

Here she is, enjoy: :)

IMG_1842.jpg

Here's a shot of the 1030, expertly serviced by the Master :)

IMG_1848.jpg

..and one last shot of the caseback, strap & buckle

IMG_1844.jpg