When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DAMNIT! I cracked a jewel bearing in my 6497!!!!

speedy1

Ok, I was installing the cannon wheel upgrade on a swiss movement, and I must have applied a bit too much pressure this time (no problem on 3 other movments). I heard an crack instead of a snap! When I looked on the back I saw that the center wheel bearing was cracked.

I strung along a goodly bit of swear words after seeing this.

BUT, does anyone have a toasted movement for one of these. Maybe one of the gold movements from back in the day?

Or has anyone replaced just a jewel?

Ok, I was installing the cannon wheel upgrade on a swiss movement, and I must have applied a bit too much pressure this time (no problem on 3 other movments). I heard an crack instead of a snap! When I looked on the back I saw that the center wheel bearing was cracked.

I strung along a goodly bit of swear words after seeing this.

BUT, does anyone have a toasted movement for one of these. Maybe one of the gold movements from back in the day?

Or has anyone replaced just a jewel?

The jewel is easily replaced and can be ordered form any good watch repair suppliers like O.Frei or Cousins. It needs to be pressed in with a jewel press so replacement will not be DIY - but any competent watchmaker (The Zigmeister) can do this.

The jewel is easily replaced and can be ordered form any good watch repair suppliers like O.Frei or Cousins. It needs to be pressed in with a jewel press so replacement will not be DIY - but any competent watchmaker (The Zigmeister) can do this.

Thank you sir!

how did you go to work? did you first remove the hour wheel? or did you try to press the cannon pinion without removing the hour wheel? What did you use to press the canon pinion ?

I removed any gears that could be damaged when pressing the cannon wheel in (I went by The Zigmeister's expert lay out in The Zigmeister's corner).

I manufactured a die that fits onto my Panavise that would support the movement back and cushion the jewel while pressing the cannon wheel. I realized after I sat and thought about it that I forgot the piece of closed cellular foam (neoprene) I use to support the back of the movement and also cushions/supports the jewel. So the movement butted up to hard plastic and the jewel was not cushioned when I pressed the cannon wheel.

So it broke because I was a dumbass and rushed through a job.

Edited by speedy1