When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 2 crystal scratched

iceberg1459

dont ask me how i did but i manage to scratch the glass of my explorer 2 with a ballpoint pen..

but how could a pen scratch a sapphire crystal?

after some research i found this

ballpoint

pen balls got a hardness lvl of 9.0-9.1 because of tungsten... :bangin:

and sapphire got 9.0....

is there a way to remove it? or change it? otherwise i want to get rid of it if anybody interested pm me, im sure some modders

can swap the crystal or polish..

dsc1071ak3.jpg

I would use some type of light abrasive, like toothpaste, to make sure that it is not something that has been deposited on the crystal. If it is indeed a scratch, you'll need to replace the crystal. (Sapphire cannot be polished without extreme effort and special equipment/supplies).

I would use some type of light abrasive, like toothpaste, to make sure that it is not something that has been deposited on the crystal. If it is indeed a scratch, you'll need to replace the crystal. (Sapphire cannot be polished without extreme effort and special equipment/supplies).

That Sucks!

what do you exactly mean with extreme effort and special equipment? maybe i can buy and do it myself

• 2 months later...
I think you would need an optical lens grinder. Forget it, replacing the crystal is the only answer.

Greetings all....

I am new to the forum and was lurking through the old posts and stumbled upon this one. I have the same problem; damaged crystal on a rep Exp II. I replaced it with a different watch crystal temporarily, but it doesn't look right (crystal sits too low, cyclops a bit off and the bezel won't seat completely.) My question is; where can I get a replacement crystal that will correctly fit a rep?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Greetings all....

I am new to the forum and was lurking through the old posts and stumbled upon this one. I have the same problem; damaged crystal on a rep Exp II. I replaced it with a different watch crystal temporarily, but it doesn't look right (crystal sits too low, cyclops a bit off and the bezel won't seat completely.) My question is; where can I get a replacement crystal that will correctly fit a rep?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Clarks parts on ebay, OR otto frei... Clarks is cheaper and i think more close to gen. i think clarks is sold by "nostalgia....." something on ebay

There's just no way to polish a glass crystal for all practical purposes. As a vintage Rollie enthusiast, I find it humororous that many fellow vintage lovers try to duplicate that injury to your watch, to make it look 'more 'vintage'. You're on the right track though; if you can't live with that scratch- sell it on this forum and order a new one from Lawrence for 90 USD shipped.

http://www.houseofsouvenirs.com/rolexexplorer_005.htm

Good luck, Arty

There's just no way to polish a glass crystal for all practical purposes. As a vintage Rollie enthusiast, I find it humororous that many fellow vintage lovers try to duplicate that injury to your watch, to make it look 'more 'vintage'. You're on the right track though; if you can't live with that scratch- sell it on this forum and order a new one from Lawrence for 90 USD shipped.

http://www.houseofsouvenirs.com/rolexexplorer_005.htm

Good luck, Arty

I'm not a big fan of that rep from houseofsouvenirs.com. The silver hour markers are way too obvious. I'll just keep my eyes open for a replacement crystal.

Thanks for your advice! :D

@Iceberg... you definitely gotta be more careful with your Expl II crystals..... ;)

ok i tell you the whole story of it :D

at work in company while walking a firend passed near me and the glasses of our watches "knocked" eachtoher and he said " oops, i hope i didnt damage your rolex, is it ok?" and i said "no problem man look" then i grabbed a pencil :bangin::bangin: and striked to glass few times really hard :D then he was like "wtf lol i thought it was going to break,lol cool" :D:D then few secs later i sneakly checked if the glass really ok...but it was too late lol...

people say only diamond can scrath sapphire which is WRONG lol

....people say only diamond can scrath sapphire which is WRONG lol

or something just harder than sapphire...

Carborundum, or fullerite. diamonds just a good benchmark. i think they advertise sapphire crystal as virtually scartchproof, meaning unless you deliberately try to damage it, during everyday wear you typically wont encounter something that will scartch it during work and play

I've been able to remove scratches from saphire crystal.

Buy this: http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=180140036177

And use dremel polishing tool. Scratch is gone in 30min :)

for that price, just buy a new clarks crystal brand new, less labour, where as the old one may never be the same again. you cant undo something thats missing, you can only grind it down or fill it in. go brand new

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee