When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some help with a vintage watch movement...

Shundi

Hey all,

So I picked up an Omega Constellation for around $450 from a reputable antiques shop on Newbury Street in Boston.

While the bridge indicates a "561-1" movement, the rotor and winding bridges say "17 Jewels Unadjusted." (To the best of my knowledge, the Chronometer movements should say 24 Jewels, adjusted to 5 Positions, 3 temps etc. In addition, the acrylic crystal has a strange magnifier I've never seen. I'm not "AS" concerned about the winding mechanism as I'm sure once the watch is serviced, it will run fine... even though the bastardized bridges anger me...I just want to ensure that the rest of the movement (the actual TIMEKEEPING portion) is accurate/ chronometer grade if, for some reason, I can't return this watch. It seems to me (from the color of the metals) that everything but the winding gear is "Chronometer Grade" 561 while the rotor and winding bridges were taken off a scrap movement (Notice the damage to the (click?) ) wheel.

I would appreciate it if you could give me any feedback on what I have here and whether it's worth salvaging or simply returning (if that's possible at this point).

Thanks in advance!

PS Images are in the Photobucket below:

http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd338/Shundi-WatchPhotos/

some Gen info for comparison... http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/movement3.pdf

Again, thanks in advance!!

Returned it after raising hell for a full refund and purchased a (more expensive) Calibre 564 Constellation in stainless steel after checking the S/N, bridge colors, etc with Omega directly... it'll be at my house within 10 days and then it'll go off to my watchmaker for a few days at the spa.

Pictures for anyone whose interested...

Movement: (The beauty of functional finishing...greatest movement ever produced by Omega)

9206_1.JPG

9376_1.JPG

Dial:

9ab0_1.JPG

Case (One solid piece...watch is serviced through the crystal):

981f_1.JPG

Enjoy!