When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a Jimmy Fu crownguard?

bwhitesox

I have 3x pictures saved on my laptop to help you...

*THIS PICTURES HAVE NOT BEEN TAKEN BY ME AND THE PICS THAT YOU SEE WERE FROM ANOTHER POST MADE BY ANOTHER MEMBER (PITY i COULD NOT REMEMBER HIS NAME BECAUSE HE DID AN AMAZING JOB IN ILLUSTRATING THE DIFFERENCES OF A REP CG FROM A JIMMY FU CG)*

the pics if I remember correctly are from the old RWG I - however I am not sure 100%

so here they go :

f_CGtopm_68e70b8.jpg

f_CGbottomm_833f25d.jpgf_CGsidem_c135d60.jpg

f_CGpinm_a2c4432.jpg

Keep in mind that this pics are old and that there have been improvements in the CG made by the rep makers...what I do belive that is always the same is the CG from Jimmy...

Thanks Dadog that is an amazing post.

It does feel like a Fu though which is throwing me but will do some measuring to confirm.

you are welcome...

I always save pics from various posts...have them safely stored on my laptop (nearly 4.5GB!)...mostly because of the purpose to help in situations like this, sometimes they get deleted, sometimes a member is no longer active and the pics get taken off from his photo bucket, sometimes a board shuts down and so on...

it's good to have all this stuff...

Well acording to your measurements this is not a Jimmy CG.

Bit miffed now as this was bought from a trusted member of this forum.

the measurements were NOT done by me...I only reposted pics that I had saved on my laptop from another member - don't remember his username (from a post from RWG I if I remember correctly)...

I would guess it is not based on the crown hole and lever placement. But how you guys definitely tell via pictures has always amazed me. I am traveling at the moment wearing a Jimmy as I write this and I am having to stare very hard. :lol:

B-

By the comment on feel I assume it has smooth motion so it may have a pin sleeve. But IMHO it is an excellent cg.

I would guess it is not based on the crown hole and lever placement. But how you guys definitely tell via pictures has always amazed me. I am traveling at the moment wearing a Jimmy as I write this and I am having to stare very hard. :lol:

The finish on the inside of the cg i think it looks more rough than it should be but still i may be wrong :)

IMO, there's no way to tell from those pics, or from measuring, since there are variances in both finish and dimension between jimmy CG's, nor in my opinion is having to mod a CG to work an indicator of anything, especially w/ a DSN case. The function of a CG has far more to do w/ case, tube, and crown than it's "brand." Having dissassembled nearly every kind of crown guard ever sold on the fora I can give some guidelines that will help you determine 100% if you have a jimmy or not.

1)the only CG I've ever seen has as small a hole" (the measurement beween the case and the bottom inside of the CG) as a jimmy were the ones that came w/ the 222. However, that CG is thinner overall than a jimmy, width-wise. But since many CG's have had their bottoms shaved to work w/ various crowns, you'll also have to measure the total height. My suggestion would be to measure both the total height and the holes of various crown guards in your collection. If one of them has an almost identical height and width as the others, but a smaller hole, then that CG is likely to be a jimmy. (BTW, For what it's worth my hole-length (not height) measurements of jimmies have come out consistently longer than rep cg's and dadog13's pics measurements.)

Another good tell is the case-end of the lever. The jimmy is more rounded when compared to the levers of the 2 CGs closest in overall dimension to jimmies--CG's from the the original "honpo" GMT's and the first version of the 222.

The only way you're ever going to tell definitively, though, is the pin. If the pin looks like the pin identified as the jimmy pin in dadog13's pics, I'd bet my collection it's a jimmy. I've never seen a rep cg with the exact same pin.

I'll take a guess and say the CG is a jimmy. No matter which CG it is, i'd have The Zigmeister redo the pin--whoever did it originally could have done a much better and less aggressive job (which may also be why Rob had to mod it to work).

The problems with the CG in question were:

1. The CG seat area didn't look modified in any way, yet the seat would not sit flush with the case. There was a large gap between the CG and the case, and you would have to remove a lot of material to get it to seat correctly.

2. The opening between the CG and the crown was so narrow, that if you did modify the CG seat to allow the CG to seat correctly against the case, then there would be no way to pull the crown out to the time setting position, the crown would bottom out against the inside of the CG before it switched to dateset.

It isn't a Jimmy Fu model in my opinion, simply based on the fact it didn't come close to fitting the watch case.

I have a brand new still in the wrapper Jimmy Fu CG in my spares bins, although I never did take the time to compare the two. Given that I have seen and installed dozens of Jimmy CG's, and they all fit the case, the simple fact that this one had all these issues was enough to convince me that it's not a Jimmy model.

In fact, I have never had a CG that - did not seat flush against the case, and - that had such a narrow crown cutout that you couldn't actually pull the crown out to set the time with the CG installed...so I really don't know what it is, but I do know what it isn't.

RG

63 is from Josh and I heard back from the member that I got the CG from....He received this from Jimmy himself back when he first started to sell these on ebay.

Now I'm really puzzled :). I have a Jimmy case coming soon so if it does not fit that 1:1 then I wil know for certain

The mystery continues. As I look at it again I do have to say the finish on the outer edges looks good and it appears that the crown guard lever likely sits very close to the cg case. But I have had more than a dozen Jimmy's and none ever needed modification against the case (other than certain DSN's).

I guess there is one other possiblity. Jimmy did not make all his cg's in one batch. I only know this because I remember trying to get him to do another round of them and he told me that it wasn't possible since the original vendor went out of business after his second or third round.

The mystery continues. As I look at it again I do have to say the finish on the outer edges looks good and it appears that the crown guard lever likely sits very close to the cg case. But I have had more than a dozen Jimmy's and none ever needed modification against the case (other than certain DSN's).

I guess there is one other possiblity. Jimmy did not make all his cg's in one batch. I only know this because I remember trying to get him to do another round of them and he told me that it wasn't possible since the original vendor went out of business after his second or third round.

Again from what I see this is not a Jimmy cg and I also had more than 10 in my hands from when he started selling them on ebay

All were the same. No variations.

The problems with the CG in question were:

1. The CG seat area didn't look modified in any way, yet the seat would not sit flush with the case. There was a large gap between the CG and the case, and you would have to remove a lot of material to get it to seat correctly.

2. The opening between the CG and the crown was so narrow, that if you did modify the CG seat to allow the CG to seat correctly against the case, then there would be no way to pull the crown out to the time setting position, the crown would bottom out against the inside of the CG before it switched to dateset.

RG

I've had problem #2 w/ a known jimmy and a GMT rep, but I've never heard of problem #1 until now, which makes this a mystery indeed. If and when this CG gets reassembled (which it should IMO to fix the pin) you'll know for sure. The pin is the very best way to tell, unless, of course it's a frankenguard. :D