When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bell & Ross got wet...

jetzeus

Hi all,

I have an Ajoesmith 03-92 that i wore to an amusement park with my daughter. She wanted to ride water rides all day and of course it got wet. Didnt think it would be a big deal, but apparently it was. I hve condensation on the inside of the crystal and the weird thing is the hands are wet..STILL!! We went almost two weeks ago!! Not sure how that is even possible.

Anyway, Should I try to open this thing up and dry it out? I threw it on a floor register and blasted it with air conditioned air and it didnt do anything...but make it cold! Is it hard to open these up and better yet, is it hard to put em back together again...if you have no skill or experience!!

Thanks!

Jet

If it has been wet for a couple of weeks then i would say that the damage has been done, but you could try a zip lock bag with silica gell pack in it ( you know the lillte pack toy get with new electrical things) open the crown and leave it in there for a few days, i have a tupperwear box with a load of packs in for emergencys like this.

Hi all,

I have an Ajoesmith 03-92 that i wore to an amusement park with my daughter. She wanted to ride water rides all day and of course it got wet. Didnt think it would be a big deal, but apparently it was. I hve condensation on the inside of the crystal and the weird thing is the hands are wet..STILL!! We went almost two weeks ago!! Not sure how that is even possible.

Anyway, Should I try to open this thing up and dry it out? I threw it on a floor register and blasted it with air conditioned air and it didnt do anything...but make it cold! Is it hard to open these up and better yet, is it hard to put em back together again...if you have no skill or experience!!

Thanks!

Jet

Hi! jetzeus,

It's better that you open your BR. It going to be difficult to get it dry otherwise. Taking the 1st step is often difficult but put this way ... if you don't open it up your watch will be screwed by water damage anyway. You've got nothing to lose!

There are 2 ways of opening your BR - Opening just the front plate or removing the whole movement.

Removing the whole movement is preferred in your case. It is not difficult but admit I was nervous the 1st time i did it as well.

This is how you do it:

1) Look at the back of the case. You will see a small screw that says "Do Not Unscrew". Ignoring the obvious ... you unscrew it!

2) Unscrew the crown & pull it to the time setting position.

3) Look through the small hole uncovered by the screw on the back. You will see tiny button you need to depress to release the crown stem from the case. Please note that there is a moving rotor behind so it might block the crown release ... just move your watch around a bit & the rotor will get out of the way.

4) Once you locate the crown release ... use a tooth pick & press it down while pulling on the crown & stem gently while. It will come out. You may need a torchlight as the opening left by the screw is rather small.

5) Turn the your BR to the front & remove the 4 screws on the face.

6) Flip it around & the face will pop of together with the movement. You may need to helpit along by using a tootpick at one of the open screw holesto gently pry it out.

Put aside the screws & place the 3 parts (front plate, case & movement) in container with silica gel to dry out.

If you concerned about removing the crown & stem ... please search on RWG as there are pictorial tutorials on how to it. Its a little different in the case of the BR cause it opens from the front unlike most wathces that open from the back but the idea is the same.

To put it back together you just do the opposite. However, when you insetr back the stem & crown & meet some resistance ... don't worry. The stem is keyed so just turn it gently & it slot right back in.

Hi! jetzeus,

It's better that you open your BR. It going to be difficult to get it dry otherwise. Taking the 1st step is often difficult but put this way ... if you don't open it up your watch will be screwed by water damage anyway. You've got nothing to lose!

There are 2 ways of opening your BR - Opening just the front plate or removing the whole movement.

Removing the whole movement is preferred in your case. It is not difficult but admit I was nervous the 1st time i did it as well.

This is how you do it:

1) Look at the back of the case. You will see a small screw that says "Do Not Unscrew". Ignoring the obvious ... you unscrew it!

2) Unscrew the crown & pull it to the time setting position.

3) Look through the small hole uncovered by the screw on the back. You will see tiny button you need to depress to release the crown stem from the case. Please note that there is a moving rotor behind so it might block the crown release ... just move your watch around a bit & the rotor will get out of the way.

4) Once you locate the crown release ... use a tooth pick & press it down while pulling on the crown & stem gently while. It will come out. You may need a torchlight as the opening left by the screw is rather small.

5) Turn the your BR to the front & remove the 4 screws on the face.

6) Flip it around & the face will pop of together with the movement. You may need to helpit along by using a tootpick at one of the open screw holesto gently pry it out.

Put aside the screws & place the 3 parts (front plate, case & movement) in container with silica gel to dry out.

If you concerned about removing the crown & stem ... please search on RWG as there are pictorial tutorials on how to it. Its a little different in the case of the BR cause it opens from the front unlike most wathces that open from the back but the idea is the same.

To put it back together you just do the opposite. However, when you insetr back the stem & crown & meet some resistance ... don't worry. The stem is keyed so just turn it gently & it slot right back in.

GBC...somehow, you made that sound simple!!! I'll give it a try when I get back home!! Thanks a ton!

Jet!